Erin Reilly-Sanders's Reviews > How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous

How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg

May 25, 12

bookshelves: humor, illustrated, non-fiction, teen
Read in May, 2012

Well, I have to say that I really like this book. The subject matter is interesting but it's more how the book just... works, as a whole. The design of the book is fantastic- the cover and illustrations really set the right tone- a bit gruesome with lots of entertainment thrown in despite the serious and worthy subject. I love how each person's story is set off by two pages with the black and white inverted to make using the book easy. I also liked the intermezzos between the chapters, filled with tidbits and facts and presenting a nice miscellany with some interestingly vague ties to the preceding chapter. The size of the chapters is just perfect for a brief read and then setting down, making it a great choice of reading material for a particular room of the house. One minor complaint would be that the bit at the end about connections between the people mentioned was misplaced. It read like an addendum but would have been much more effective had it been worked into the design of the chapters or presented at the beginning or in the middle. My major gripe is that I really like this book (not to be repetitive) but because of the provokingly flippant tone some of the history bits are exaggerated and/or told from a biased perspective. It won't be confusing to children and certainly shouldn't stop ANYONE from reading this book but readers should be aware that in order to be entertaining and funny the representation of the facts is not as factual as today's historians would demand of a the typical nonfiction book of quality.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How They Croaked.