Rachael Sherwood's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Oct 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from October 24 to 25, 2011

Basic synopsis: Todd Hewitt lives in Prentisstown, a settlement where a devastating germ war with an alien race left no women and all the men can hear each others' thoughts all the time (called their Noise). Prentisstown is a depressing place, people either think about the women they used to know, or drink a lot, or follow the fire and brimstone teachers of their Church. (Men, right?) Todd is the youngest member of the town, the last boy. He has 30 days before he becomes a man. When his guardians send him out on an errand near the swamp, Todd and his talking dog Manchee (all the animals can talk too, one of my favorite parts of the book, as Ness doesn't cutesyfy or personify them. Manchee sounds exactly like what I'd imagine my dumbass dog sounds like <3) run into something they've never heard before: quiet. The source of that quiet, and the secrets it holds, change Todd's life forever.

Wooo this book went fast. For some reason I dragged my heels getting around to it. It just didn't "seem" like something I'd like, even though I knew nothing about it and it had come highly recommended by a trusty friend. Maybe I'm just lazy.

But once I started it, I could not put it down! It was a stay-up-until-1am kind of book, for sure. Ness writes in a delightful colloquial language, not too heavy to be distracting but visible enough to give character. It ends on a big cliffhanger, which I found exhausting. Maybe I'm just over series for now, but I will be picking up the next one eventually.

1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

Stephanie *iz trusty* :D!

I didn't think I'd like it either, and yet I picked it up on a whim and was glad I did. Yeah the cliffhanger... literally made me throw the book into a wall. XD Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it.