Sue's Reviews > Dave Barry Turns Fifty

Dave Barry Turns Fifty by Dave Barry

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: humor
Read in October, 2011

I'm a big fan of Dave Barry -- have been for years -- but I did not think this was his best book. Though, to be fair, I would really give it 2.5 stars if 1/2 points were allowed. It did made me laugh out loud often enough that my husband asked me to read something else since "one of us is trying to get some sleep here."

Basically, I thought the humor in this book was so very specific to Baby Boomers that it would be hard for anyone else to really enjoy it, sort of a "you had to be there" humor book. I AM a baby boomer, but a younger one than Dave Barry (Yes!), and even I had trouble relating to some of it. So, my Goodreads friends, only buy this book for your parents if they are pretty much exactly Dave Barry's age which, since this book was published in 1998, must be some years past 60 by now.

In case you are unfamiliar with Barry's writing style, I will leave you with this comment on 1974, carefully selected for you, my Goodreads friends, because many of you have recently been discussing Jaws. "The big book in 1974 was Jaws, which many people foolishly read while vacationing at the seashore. With each turn of the page, they moved their beach towels farther from the water; some of them wound up as far inland as Kansas." This is more true than you know. I read Jaws in the summer of 1974, and look, I'm in Indiana!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dave Barry Turns Fifty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Nice touch. :)