Dominic's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

M_50x66
Jun 29, 08

Read in June, 2008

I picked up this book with little thought as to what I might get out of it....In fact I was not willing to start it, since I thought it would be a boring old book that I might get a hundred pages into, at most.

I just finished the book, and I'm glad to say, It has been one of the most enjoyable books I've read.

Sure, there was some slow parts, as in every book, but the way it was written, distinct in older books, was very intresting and even refreshing. The story was very clever and meaningful. Some very subtle humor is applied at very strategic positions, of which left me inwardly laughing to myself long after I'd past that point.
For the characters in the book, I can say that I've never seen such skillfully and purposefully constructions before in all my reading. (Not that I can brag about how much I've read, but still)

While some, like me, might be timid at the sight of it's rather big length, it actually makes the book better. The very length is one of the things I most enjoyed, for it made the book not only full of quality, but full of a LOT of quality.
To bring things back to earth a little, I must say that his writing style is not my favorite, but it is his own, and he excelles in it.

I've wondered for a long to about Dostoyevsky, but never thought I'd read him... I'm very, very glad I chanced to read a page... since a few moments ago I just finished the last page; Which entirely secured, for me, this book's place on my shelf of favorites (mentally and physically) for years to come. Read and Enjoy.

d

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.