Sarah's Reviews > Silent to the Bone

F 50x66
Nov 08, 11

Read from October 24 to November 08, 2011

Silent to the Bone

E.l. Konigsburg’s book Silent to the Bone is a book that I would definitely recommend because it’s a realistic book that involves a mystery and leaves the reader with a message to think about. This book is about a boy named Connor who is trying to prove his best friends Branwell’s innocence. Branwell went silent after a terrible accident that happened to his 6 month old baby sister Nikki. The Nanny, who is an au pair named Vivian, claims Branwell is guilty. Connor is a loyal friend who knows that Branwell didn’t do this to Nikki. In the beginning of the book, Connor says “I won’t say what his first words were until I explain what I heard during the time he said nothing.”(Page 9). Throughout the book, Konigsburg creates suspense a lot. This is one those times. I started predicting what he said to him, but I also wondered why Connor didn’t tell us then. Even though this whole story is pretty much a mystery, this is one of the little mysteries that are found in the book. A little bit later on in the beginning of the book, Connor says “But it says a lot about how deep the layers of friendship go.”(Page 22). I think that this is the main message that Konigsburg is trying to tell the reader because this whole book is about friendship. While reading this line, I personally thought about my friendships and how close I am to my friends. I also how deep the layers of our friendship go. I would think that many other readers would think about their friendships when they read this line. Lastly, I believe that this book is/ could be realistic. All of the events that happened in this book could happen in the real world. Obviously going into a coma because of a horrible accident, even if it does happen rarely, happens. When the nanny Vivian breaks the rules of smoking could happen. I mean people brake rules for different reasons happen all the time. This whole book could be based off of a true story. E.l. Konigsburg’s book Silent to the Bone is truly one of the best books I’ve ever read and would recommend to anyone that likes a mystery.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent to the Bone.