Helen's Reviews > Nobody's Prize

Nobody's Prize by Esther M. Friesner

Aug 11, 12

I wanted to read this book as soon as I finished Nobody's Princess. I started this book with such zeal that I thought that I would miss something in my rapid engulfing. In the end, I found this book to be pretty good. Not as good as the prequel because the plot had too many ups and downs, but still decent. I liked all the new characters thrown in, especially Medea. She may be crazy, but she was entertaining to read. I got bored when Helen reached Athens. That part dragged on for way too long and was wrapped up too nicely. This book is definitely more mature than the prequel. Poisoning, an actual battle, the thought of Helen have a kid at the age of fifteen. Also, the references of homosexuality in the book don't bother me at all. As I've learned in my European History class, homosexuality was seen differently in Ancient Greece because, well, the Greeks weren't Christian at the time. Homosexuality was seen as a male bonding experience, not as a sin. But if you're uncomfortable with the idea that Herakles (Hercules) had a crush on boy-Helen, skip that part (it's a few references spread over a couple of chapters) or don't read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody's Prize.