Maya Lang's Reviews > A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace

May 21, 2008

Read in May, 2008

I was both in awe of and incredibly annoyed by how ridiculously smart David Foster Wallace shows himself to be in these essays. One reviewer described him as using words the way a ninja uses throwing stars. I guess it's a thing of beauty to see someone so adept and skilled, but it can also be irritating to a bystander, watching the words whiz by. And to top it all off, he was a ranked Junior level national tennis player. Ugh! Anyway, his essay on the cruise trip he took (the title essay) was ridiculously funny and more endearing; I thought some of the other ones were a little bit arrogant in tone, though if I were a ninja I might show off too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.

message 1: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Because of your review, I went searching for his titles at our local half-price store. Was only able to find Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, and really enjoyed it. Well, about half of it. I totally agree with you that his style is sometimes frustrating. There is this sort of out-of-control feeling when you are reading it. Like you are stumbling down each page, just trying to keep the words underneath you. There is a frantic feel to it that left me uneasy. Yet, there is a genuine pathos to his writing that makes it all seem very human. Thanks for introducing him!

Maya Lang I couldn't believe it when I heard this weekend that he took his own life. It's so sad--he was so talented, and so ridiculously smart. And so young, too.