Kelcie's Reviews > Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut

U 50x66
May 21, 2008

it was ok
Read in May, 2008

I read this cover to cover at work on a particularly long shift. It's pretty charming, but it gets a little old. A little heavy on the Hot Topic-type philosophy.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista yo kelc, what is the Hot Topic-type philosophy?

Kelcie There used to be a shirt at Hot Topic (probably still is, I dunno) that said "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same." This comic is at least in part about that brand of underdog elitism; that someone is inherently more worthwhile because "society" thinks they're less worthwhile. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac tortures and kills people who laugh at him and whomever he deems clone-like "cogs in the machine" or whatever you wanna call it. I dunno... it's just seems irritating and naive. He accuses people of acting like they're still in high school, but it seems to me that if you're still concerned with being "uncool" in the eyes of cheerleaders, you're obviously a victim of the same mentality. That said, there are definitely some funny parts.

simon actually, anne guish was introduced to parody those who follow the hot topic philosophy