Karen Klink's Reviews > A Widow for One Year

A Widow for One Year by John Irving

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: literary
Read in October, 2011

I started to give this four stars but, the more I thought about it, well, here's five stars.

A fifth star (from me) means there has to be something timeless about the story, passages that express moments of what I think of as universal connection and deep understanding. My heart either seems to slow down or speed up and I sometimes close my eyes and feeling a welling up of emotion inside. I suppose if I were willing to spend the time on this review I could express myself better, but here I sit in a coffee shop in Hood River, Oregon, and my husband is waiting for me to get off the computer.

Anyway, there were moments like that in this novel. Along with everything else I give four stars for: plot, dialog, sentence structure, intriguing and realistic characters, etc., etc. Plus, if one is a writer, the thoughts in the writer character's head re her development of a novel are especially fascinating.

I could not imagine how a sixteen year-old boy would stay in love with a woman he fell in love with when she was thirty-six. John Irving made me believe it, and I was thrilled by the ending.

Now I'm off to find another one of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Widow for One Year.