Jeremy's Reviews > Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 1

Beck by Sakuishi Harold

May 22, 08

Read in January, 2008

I really enjoyed this! I got into the series through the anime that aired on a couple music channels. It builds on what I already know, and develops it/shows me some things I didn't know.

So, the writing: generally, it's fairly solid. It's a little corny, but it's the right level of corny. I'm already reading a manga about a bunch of kids starting a rock band, so I suppose when I sit down for this, I'm already prepared for a slight bit of cheese. Sets up Yukio's lifestyle, and throws together a few fun dynamics right away. You've got two strong female characters in Maho and Izumi, and then Ryusuke as a mentor/odd friend, and it just sets up the right kind of environment where you're interested in all the relationships developing, and you can tell things are going to happen, and makes you slowly start to care for the characters.

Oh, though Ryusuke in leather clothing didn't do much for me ;)

On to the art: I'm generally really enjoying it. The cover on this is class, and the art in general is exactly was I was hoping for. There are a few moments (when characters are really excited/mad/etc) where I thought it was over done, but it's comical, so it works. It's well paced, and Sakuishi makes great use of the pages, and has some really beautiful looking pages. You can see his love of the characters, and some of the Maho pages made me want to die. Maho's one of my favourite characters, and leaves me wishing I knew a Maho of my own, haha.

Altogether, great first book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beck.