C.C. Thomas's Reviews > Resonance

Resonance by A.J. Scudiere

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read from October 24, 2011 to February 11, 2012

With the Mayan apocalyptic dateline approaching, I expected so see many more books and movies about the end of the world, but they are only trickling out, it seems. This is one on the market that is worth the read.

In this book, the shifting of the magnetic poles has changed life on Earth and leaves a bevy of main characters trying to figure out just what's going on.

Jordan and Jillian are new doctors at the CDCP investigating odd deaths
Becky is a grade students who finds an inordinate amount of 6-legged frogs on her family's land with some weird collective group behavior
David is doing research of pockets of magnetic switches of polarity secretly and hoping to make a new for himself that will eclipse his famous scientific father
Circumstances bring these four together as they struggle to make sense of the changing world in the face of mass human extinction.

What made the book so enjoyable was a dramatic plot change about 75% of the way through. It had me scratching my head and pulling my hair at the same time. While I always enjoy a writer's skill, the book was positively masterful. The global opening narrowed to a razor sharpness at the end to the cares and concerns of just two people.

Horrific and harrowing and ultimately a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resonance.