Nicole's Reviews > Beg for Mercy

Beg for Mercy by Shannon Dermott

Oct 24, 2011

bookshelves: to-read-recommended, to-read-good-review-from-friend, angels, december-schedule, demons, for-review, free-read-for-review, own, paranormal, paranormal-romance, shifter, young-adult, vampire
Recommended to Nicole by: Shannon Dermott
Recommended for: Older Teens & Adults
Read from December 16 to 17, 2011

I finished this late last night and it's been a little over 14 hours since I put it down and I am not sure I still know what to write about it but let's give it a go. I'll just start typing and telling you about the story and see where that takes me…

We will start with Mercy; she is a 16 year old high school student who is half a succubus. She discovered this during her first kiss when she almost killed her now best friend Paul. Mercy is a smart girl and one of the fun things in the story is her use of her SAT words. Every day she has one for the day and it is comical how they end up being used. Now I read some reviews and I know there were some issues with corrections that needed to be made, let me just say that Shannon Dermott (the author) gave me the edition of the book and I had no grammar and spelling problems with this edition.

All right now I am going to tackle what I didn’t like so we can just get it out of the way and get back to the good stuff because there was plenty of it, it will be like ripping off a Band-Aid.

I do like a good Love tri-angle but this one is more like a hexagon, I don’t know at what point it got a wee bit ridiculous for me but I do know it got there. Half-way through and maybe even three-quarters through I began getting antsy and irritated with the Mercy’s man fan club. I do realize she is a succubus so yeah … hello boys! But it still seemed a bit much. I tell you this now not because I think it should be different but because if you read this book I don’t want you so get frustrated and give up. I promise the payoff for finishing it will be worth it! In fact I dare to say I think all of that is forgiven.

The other thing that I didn’t like was how much Mercy misses clues going on around her, she is not written as a half-wit character so why can’t she see what is going on around her when it is so obvious that she needs more information form the people around her. It’s like watching a horror film and you just want to scream at the girl running around in her nightgown for doing the most idiotic things.

There were a couple of few minor issues I had with it but I am not going to pick at it.

Ok now back to the good stuff… Let talk about boys now ;-)

Let’s introduce you to the “Mercy’s man fan club”

First we have Paul, first kiss (almost killed him) now he is one of her best friends, kissing thing didn’t work out too well, but of course he secretly pines for Mercy. Paul is our geek chic.

Photobucket

Next let’s go to the boy next door Luke. Luke is the boyfriend, son of a preacher, football star, and all around nice guy.

Photobucket

We have a couple others in the fan club that get little attention and minor flirting along the way but I am just staying with the main men. How about Sebastian now? He is our super bad boy, no moral compass to speak of and is a dangerous beauty combined with a devil may care smile and we have what all girls with Daddy issues would call the perfect man ;-)

Photobucket

I saved my favorite for last! Flynn our resident misunderstood bad boy, yummy!

Photobucket
Oh and it is very appropriate that I imagine Leto as Flynn since Mercy is a big 30 seconds to Mars fan!

So overall I was VERY happy with this book, like I said most of what I had problems with in the end made sense to me. But let me tell you one more thing, at the end of the book my face was like this for a few hours….

Photobucket

I was left with a lot of questions at the end of the book and you could have probably could have convinced me that my nook was missing a few chapters of the book I still feel a bit like this about it…

Photobucket

But all that means in the author did her job; she wrapped it up in a nice package but left you desperately wanting more! I will absolutely read the next one and highly recommend this one.

Rating – 4 Stars!

Recommended for – Older teens and Adults

Thank you to Shannon Dermott, Bravo!!!!

Finally got this one posted to my blog! Follow my blog!
Beg For Mercy Review

January 21st update

Did you see my interview with Mercy? There is also a link to an excerpt to book 2!
Mercy Interview & Giveaway

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beg for Mercy.

12/16/2011
30.0% "Very intriguing so far"
03/19/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Alexandria Nicole I loved this book! I can't wait to see what you think!

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Excellent story...enjoy!!

Alexandria Nicole ahh who's your favorite male? I'm dying to know!

Nicole I think Flynn although after reading the entire book Luke really grew on me.

Nicole Who was yours Alex?

Alexandria Nicole I loved Luke :) Flynn was good but I'm tired of the bad boy always getting the girl, and Luke wasn't too goody-goody. I can't wait to learn more about Sebastian though. He was so interesting!

Alexandria Nicole Also great review! That's exactly how I pictured Sebastian!! And you're right, I think Mercy should have asked more questions. I was dying!

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) Awesome review! BTW I saw that you are a top reviewer. How do I vote for you???

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) As far as Mercy's fan club goes, it didn't bother me. My thoughts were that she was a succubus and like vampires, I assumed she'd have some sort of allure even if she didn't quite see herself that way. (view spoiler)

And the questions, it's been awhile since I read the book. But I guess if she asked more questions, it would be a different book. lol!

message 10: by Nicole (last edited Dec 19, 2011 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole Thanks Terri, I think it goes off of people "liking" the reviews. I was surprised by that as well!

Yeah I think I need to reword some of that review, I was up late writing it and maybe I didn't make it clear enough. What I was trying to get across was that at some point in the book I was a little irritated with Mercy and all the boy attention, I guess mainly the the inner dialog when she berates herself? I don't know...lol... BUT what I meant was while I did become irritated with it in the end I understood the need for it. I wanted people to push through it even they got that feeling.

And after talking with Shannon, there is a charter in Mercy that I missed. I don't know if a I missed it or it wasn't properly conveyed so I will ask this for Shannon so she knows because in the end all authors need our constructive opinions!

So for anyone who read this book, did you know that Mercy was non-confrontational?

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) Oh liking! Didn't know! I learn something new everyday. Cool, though. You deserve it.

I don't think you have to change your review. It was great. I agree that especially indie authors who don't have the teams of people behind them would appreciate constructive criticism. I try to do so and not be hurtful. I've read some reviews (even on R2R) that make me cringe.

As far as non-confrontational Mercy, I can't comment. It's been to long since I read. All I can say is that I don't remember her not questioning bothering me.

Alexandria Nicole I kind of noticed she was like that, except I didn't that it as non-confrontational. I took it more as just being naive I guess. Like she wasn't thinking to ask those things in the first place, not that she didn't want to. It's been a bit since I read it though too.

And I understood your review fine, I don't think you need to change it.

And I didn't know the liking thing either. Interesting!

Nicole So who was your favs Alex and Terri?

Alexandria Nicole I don't know if my comment shows from before but Luke is my favorite! Flynn is cool but I just couldn't help falling in love with Luke. Sebastian is SO intriguing too and Shannon told me we'd be seeing more of him in the next book, so excited about that!
I know a lot of people like Flynn for the bad boy thing, but to me Sebastian is way more bad boy that Flynn ;) I mean he'd a demon! lol

Nicole lol, I know! they all have their appeal, what's funny is I will be happy will whatever comes. Usually I have a clear cut way I NEED the author to follow, lol. But I think I would be happy with any of them esp. when I put all those faces with them.

Alexandria Nicole Omg, yes I know exactly what you mean about the faces. That guy is exactly how I pictured Sebastian and it makes me like him even more lol
I completely understand about the happy either way, but for some reason I'm just anti-team flynn. Weird? everyone loves him and I can't figure out why! I think I just like the other two too much. I think she'll end up with Flynn tho so I'm going to try and like him lol However, things change so fast sometimes, we'll just have to wait and see!

Nicole Do you watch the Vampire diaries Alex?

Alexandria Nicole No, I don't. I don't watch much tv honestly, but I heard they're really good!

Nicole LOL! that is Ian Somerhalder from that show, he plays the bad boy Damon.

er did you read the Vamp diaries?

Alexandria Nicole Lol oh trust me I know of him!! lol He just looks like a bad boy *yummy*

I knew he was in that show but I didn't know who he played and no, I haven't read those either :/ I really need to catch up on some series!

I heard Vamp diaries isn't as good as VA though, what did you think?

Nicole Eh... I lost interest in the books, love the show! That's weird usually it's the other way around. The first couple were really good, then they just got a little weird. Then the topper was they fired L.J. Smith.. so I stopped reading it

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) I like Vampire Diaries tv show better than the books in the long run. Vampire Academy book series is better.

Who did I like. I favor Luke for some reason. Flynn is smoking hot, Sebastian had that mysterious thing going, Paul well, he's human.

In the end, I'm hoping things work out with Luke, but like Alex, I think somehow Flynn will win. But never so sure with how the book ended.

Nicole Oh yeah I agree with VD does not even come close to VA or HON

Alexandria Nicole Omg, I love HON! Ok, sounds like I won't be wasting my times with VD. I'll just start watching the shows. I've heard from a lot of people that they are better, and you're right Nicole, that never happens!

Yay, Terri, another Luke fan! :D

message 25: by Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (last edited Dec 20, 2011 10:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) I haven't read HON! But that's up next after I work my way through the Morganville series.

Team Luke!

message 26: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy You know how they always say the books are better than the movies/TV shows? Well, VD is the one show I can honestly say hands down that the TV show ROCKS! And the books... eh, not so much. I lost interest in the books pretty quickly. Anyway, Ian is the guy I have in my head for many, many of my main role male characters.

As for Beg for Mercy, LOVED IT! I'm still torn between Flynn and Luke, though after the end, I just don't think Luke will ever be the right one for her. I still love both guys though, and I can't wait for the sequel. Eeeeek!

Alexandria Nicole Yes he is!! Dark hair and light eyes, like blue or green, always get me!

Ngaio I really like your choices for sebastian and Flynn. I was like that cat to when i finished.
Ian is so hot, he just looks like a bad boy lol i think its to do with his smouldering stare!

message 30: by Lulu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lulu You got the guys right thats for sure.. the pics fit perfect!!

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) You guys should check out all the pictures people posted of their ideas of the guys including me on Shannon's contest blog page here on goodreads.

Nicole Thanks, I had to fix a couple links, my Leto pictures got their own album, ;-)

Diana Stormblessed Just re-read your review. Still like it :-)

Nicole LMAO!!!!!

Aestas Book Blog omg I laughed so hard at that WTF cat.. hahahaha

Nicole I still laugh every time I see that last cat

Maghon Thomas ok, I just looked at this one again cuz I LOVE your pictures hahahahahaa that cat is just the best!

Nicole lol I know!

Maghon Thomas LOL I love that you just say "I know!" I think it's the most GREAT thing that you find these things for me to look at :)

Nicole It's that darn cat it gets me everytime I see it Mags

Taznim i do really like your review!and the cute little cat,which is also me doing the same WTF face!lolololololol.....cannot wait for the next book!

★Ruth★ Great Review :)

message 45: by Bre (new) - added it

Bre Fist of all, I am laughing my ass off because of course I just watched that movie, with the chick running, last night.