Karah's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: mystery, favorites
Read from October 24 to November 03, 2011

** spoiler alert ** The Lincoln Lawyer is the first Michael Connelly book that I've read. A friend's husband recommended it to me and I've been meaning to read it for awhile now-- and took the opportunity when I saw the audio book version at our library.

The plot follows Mickey Haller, an LA defense attorney who secures a high paying client known as a franchise. This is the most lucrative case of Haller's career, and he's thrilled to be a part of it. But as he defends his client, he realizes that he may have just made a deal with the devil. He comes face to face with evil and begins to worry about the safety and security of his family.

It turns out that his client, is actually the killer of several cold case murders-- one in particular that left another one of Haller's clients taking the rap and now serving a life sentence for. Haller puts these things together and begins to weave a plan together that will not require him to break lawyer/client confidentiality and yet subtly drop clues and hints for detectives following the parallel case. At first, this was frustrating for me because it seemed like he was just defending his client-- while knowing an innocent man was serving a life sentence for this man's crimes. Of course, Connelly wanted us to empathize with the man serving time, and somehow be rooting for this defense attorney to lose his case and put this guy in jail. ---But that would be too simple and that is why I don't write books! Instead, Haller hatches a plan that falls into place leaving the real killer exposed.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It moved quickly and was great to listen to in the car. Definitely recommend for anyone in need of a little suspenseful reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.