Elizabeth Sciarra's Reviews > Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters: An African Tale

Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe

Nov 07, 11

Read from October 24 to November 07, 2011

The first thing that I noticed when I picked up this book was the cover. It has a beautiful wrap around illustration which really stood out to me. Even though there were not bright colors throughout the book, which usually draws me towards a book, I thought that the pictures were beautiful. They were very detailed and it made the book different. I thought that they also brought out the culture that the author was trying to address and it really worked together.

I like how this book put a twist on other books that I have read. Even though it was somewhat the same as some stories I have read before, I still think it stood out from others.

I would use this book in teaching to show my students the lesson that you should be nice to everyone because you never really know who they are or what they can do for you in the future. The daughter who thought she was going to be the queen was mean and rude to everyone she met because she just wanted to marry the king, but the daughter who was kind and generous to everyone she met along the way ended up being the queen in the end because she was the nicest. I would recommend this book to any teacher or parent who wants to teach their students or children this lesson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters.