Lesley's Reviews > Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels

Beyond Heaving Bosoms by Sarah Wendell

F 50x66
Oct 24, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from October 24 to November 02, 2011

The only problem with this book is that it ended. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. While researching books to for our book club, I came upon this site that suggested that I follow certain people/organisations on Twitter as they are all book related and one of the co-authors (Sarah Wendell) is one of them.

A few weeks ago she was promoting her most recently book Everything I Know about Love I Learned from Romance Novels (I believe is the title, it's been shortened to EIKAL) so I figured since our library system doesn't have a copy (yet, I'm hoping to rectify that) I wanted to see if she had written anything else. I was ever so excited when I saw this that I never bothered to do any research or to even read the spine label (where I would have realised it was a non-fiction book) or subtitle before cracking open the book.

Within the first several pages I was hooked. Not to give away any of the details, but it delves into anything and everything you've ever wanted to know about romance novels and even some of the details you didn't even consider. Everything from Old School Romance to Paranormal and everything in between and before you think it's just all dry and factual, I can assure you it's anything but that. I found myself laughing out loud and having to share segments with whomever was nearby (who also shared in the laughter) and that was the case for about 90% of the book.

If you enjoy romance novels, this book is for you. If you're curious about romance novels, they make some good suggestions (hey Sarah, thanks for giving me 30+ new books to read, as if my to-read list isn't hurting enough LOL!). If you're in need of a good laugh and are meh about romance novels, this is a good book to read. Now if you're curious about how many names they come up with for the mighty-ho-hoo box or the almighty schlong, you've got to read it with pencil and paper.

And if you're still in doubt and enjoyed the BDB (Black Dagger Brotherhood) series, that's considered romance, even if they're not considered traditional romance. Plus, Sarah is as funny in person (caught a segment of her on tv) and via twitter as she is in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Heaving Bosoms.

10/24/2011 page 10