Katie's Reviews > Open City

Open City by Teju Cole

Oct 24, 11

Read in October, 2011

I had read the reviews of this book warning that it has no plot and it's essentially an intellectual stream-of-consciousness head trip, so I knew what to expect. And I was eager for it, and it turned out to be exactly that. An intellectual wanders through New York City, sharing his innermost (and I thought, frequently fascinating) thoughts. If you know what to expect and like that sort of thing, you'll probably enjoy it, too--but if you must have plot, skip it!

I thought it was great, though--it's really nice that books like this still exist in the current world of book blockbusters and a market that's generally crowded with books that more resemble fast-paced action movies. This book really makes you think, although some of it's going to be hit-and-miss, of course. This is a person who truly inhabits his own mind and spends every day not obsessed with the millions of ordinary day-to-day trivial concerns (like most of us are, including me), but rather thinking deeply about the human condition.

I also must say it was one of the weirdest endings I've ever read. It sort of felt like it just stopped mid-thought. Not that I'm complaining (it seemed hard to imagine how a book like this could really "end," considering there's no plot at all) but it was just interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open City.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

David Yeah, definitely glad to see I'm not alone with my thoughts on the ending. He's a great writer though; I'm excited to see what he does next.