Christina's Reviews > Walkabout Northern California: Hiking Inn to Inn

Walkabout Northern California by Tom Courtney

Jan 04, 2013

bookshelves: own-physical-copy
Read from December 29, 2011 to December 31, 2012

I wanted to do more of the walkabouts before marking this as read/reviewed, but ah well. I've read the book and done one walk from it twice this year and I really enjoy the book and the ideas behind it. I'm a fan of long distance hikes where there's lodging options beyond camping, which is prevalent in the UK but not so common in the US.

The book has been great to help find these opportunities closer to home in California, and I particularly love the car-free angle to most of these hikes.

The only downsides to this book would be the directions. The written directions are decent, but since the hikes often go through multiple state or regional parks, you'll need to print out multiple trail maps to cover even just one day of hiking. Our GPS was incredibly useful, but of course you lose reception occasionally while hiking, so maps are key.

And last but not least - be aware that for the SF to Half Moon Bay hike, Thornton State Beach to Mussel Rock Beach is impassable the much of the time due to tides.

I'm looking forward to doing more hikes from this book, particularly the Marin, Pt. Reyes, and Mendocino hikes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walkabout Northern California.