Sheila's Reviews > Isadora DayStar

Isadora DayStar by P.I. Barrington

2039269
Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: current_issues, relationships, scifi-fantasy, suspense
Read in October, 2011

The protagonist’s dilemma really grabbed me in this novel and wouldn’t let go—a drug-addicted, deeply conflicted, nondescript, female assassin (with a wonderful name), chasing across galaxies on a plague-infested space-ship… Flashing back and forward in time as the protagonist’s fractured life falls apart, then moving into high gear, high octane excitement, P.I. Barrington’s Isadora Daystar is one of those novels that rewards readers with deep characters, well-imagined futuristic scenarios, gentle touches to make it all seem real (like the characters’ amazement at seeing a farm), and a story-line that truly enthralls.

The initial disjointedness of this tale fits perfectly into the plot—a character so mixed up she keeps retiring to memories and dreams while fate, or drugs, or something inexorably pulls her on. Tortured, conflicted, more villain than heroine, Isadora still retains some vestige of generous humanity. When a young teen needs rescue, she offers aid and finds herself saddled with more than she bargained for. By the end of this novel I was eagerly turning pages, longing for life and relationships to somehow work out right. Epic sci-fi with heart and soul, and a female protagonist who turns out to be much stronger than she believes, this one’s a keeper.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy of this novel by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isadora DayStar.