Melissa's Reviews > Sundial

Sundial by C.F. Fruzzetti

F_50x66
Oct 24, 11

Read in September, 2011

SUNDIAL has all it takes to be the beginning of an epic adventure--right up to a cliffhanger of an ending that leaves you cheering and wanting more. This is an edgy read and one you will enjoy if you like mystery, suspense and intrigue. Every chapter leaves you with a question mark in your mind and, like a true suspense, not every question is immediately answered!

Whitney is a rock of a character. She knows who she is and she cultivates good friends. It is a refreshing change that she considers her options and makes smart decisions before diving in--even though she still finds herself in sticky situations from time to time. Blair, her best friend, always has her back and their relationship provides humor and balance. These two make a tough team and are always helping each other out even when one is pushing the other off a boat! Now, that's saying something!

Reid is dynamic and interesting. Yes, he is the most popular boy in school but he is more than the perfect cliche. He makes mistakes and is befuddled by Whitney. His super cool persona is another element that nothing is what it seems. I really like that he has met a mental fencing partner in Whitney and their witty exchanges reveal a mental test of wills and wit. Their conversations were funny and sharp--just like the characters. I appreciated that their relationship is deep while they are surrounded by shallow materialism. I'm glad Whitney out foxes Reid when she can't out power him and that there is a lot of strategy which adds to the plot's tension.

The wealthy powerhouse of Washington, D.C., and affluent Alexandria, VA, are the stomping grounds of this book. This area of the country is where money and power are always an undercurrent and is a fitting backdrop for the story's location. Nearby Langley, VA, houses the CIA and makes the setting of a DC suburb an obvious and pivotal choice. The glamorous monuments, historical and high brow Old Town all help to contribute to the sophisticated air of the book and makes me think it would play out as a great movie!

The book is subtle and well crafted. It is full of surprises and good characters. SUNDIAL leaves me believing Whitney and Reid can take on the world and I wonder where they will go next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sundial.