Rose Ann's Reviews > The Tenth Circle

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Jan 11, 10

Read in May, 2008 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** First, the storyline is not what I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be more about the rape case (judicially), and the family making it through that.
Second, I found this a tough topic, being that I have a daughter entering 9th grade.
The first 2/3 of this book, I couldnt put down.
I thought for sure that Jason commited suicide. It made sense that he would commmit suicide, being that she tested positive for the drug. Then I wondered...now what? How can the story continue?...he's dead. That's when they realize he was murdered. I questioned early on that Trixie was the one to do it.
I was disappointed in the last couple chapters of the book. That the story ends in Alaska...I found alot of the end was unnecessary rambling about Alaska. I was surprised with the encounter Trixie has with Willie, especially after recently being raped....seemed unrealistic to me. But also showed that she was going to be "okay".
I'm not a big fan of comic strips either, so that kind of bored me.
I felt it ended abruptly, with questions unanswered.
Overall, it kept my interest and I couldnt put it down...I wanted the answers...unfortunately, I didnt like the way some of them were delivered.
I cant decide between 3 or 4 stars. If you asked me during the first 2/3's of the book, I would give it 4 or 5 stars.
After getting to the end of the book (3/3.5stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenth Circle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary This was my least favorite Picoult book out of the 7 that I have read, but even so, all of her books are ultimately very readable. Even when I'm not crazy about them, I can't put them down!

Sara I agree that the book ended abruptly with questions unanswered. I didn't like the fact that Laura was the one who ended up confessing to 'the murder' of Jason, I preferred it when he committed suicide. I would still say judiciously that it was a horrible accident, but then that's just my opinion. Once Trixie 'ran away' I definitely found the book to slow down, I was having a hard time following where she was exactly, but I guess that's what you get when you read before going to bed. You just kind of knew that she wasn't raped really(date raped, yes) when she had the encounter with Willie. I love her books for the simple fact that I just can't put them down, I have to find out what happens.
BTW, did anyone figure out the cryptic message throughout the graphic novel portion? Looking for the letters gave me a headache. I'm sure it has something to do with "nothing is as it seems" or something like that...

Sarahbeth Caplin "You just kind of knew that she wasn't raped really(date raped, yes) when she had the encounter with Willie."
Wait...you're saying a rape victim can't choose to have sex after being raped? What?