Marleen's Reviews > Faithless

Jun 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: karin-slaughter
Read from June 05 to 14, 2012

Although I have this love/hate relationship with Karin Slaughter’s Grant County books, I also feel this urge to read them all in order to get the full picture as I absolutely want to better understand these damaged characters. It’s rare you come across such complex, flawed and messed-up protagonists in a series – and what I dislike most, is that they don’t seem to get a break. There are no happy moments in Jeffrey’s, Sara’s, Lena’s lives. It’s so depressing in the end!
To be totally honest, I prefer the Atlanta series featuring Will Trent, who might be a detective with serious flaws, but who has a much stronger and appealing personality.

I’m inclined to give this book a 2,5 to a 3 stars because the story only became captivatingly interesting in the last 120 pages or so. The story starts way too slow - when Sara and Jeffrey discover a young girl buried in a coffin by the lake, dead despite a breathing pipe extending to the surface. They soon discover that the young girl belongs to the Holy Grown soybean farming collective, exploited by the Ward family. The victim's actually one of the Ward's younger family members. The investigation is rather stuck in the beginning and there’s more emphasis on the personal problems of the three Grant County protagonists: Lena, Jeffrey and Sara.
In this one the author doesn’t shy away from issues like abortion, domestic abuse or religious zealousness, and it’s all rather grim in my opinion. Like I said, I wonder if these splendid characters are ever going to find a moment of contentment at least, (knowing that happiness is not in the cards).
Well, I'm rushing off to the library to read the last of this series, which I know will contain much of the same grimness and doom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faithless.