Kat's Reviews > The Lost Stories

The Lost Stories by John Flanagan

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, tweens-and-teens
Read from June 16 to 24, 2012

Basic Premise: This volume is a collection of short stories set in the world of the Ranger's Apprentice series. They fill in some of the gaps on reader questions that aren't specifically addressed in the novels of the series.

Flanagan's short fiction works well, but if you haven't read the series, you won't have a clue what's going on in the stories. This was definitely intended for people who are already fans. The stories cover most of the logical questions readers would ask: what happens to Ranger horses when they near retirement age? After all, horses have shorter lives than humans, and working horses can only work so long. How did Halt make his way from Hibernia into the Ranger Corps? The stories also cover Horace and Cassandra's wedding and a few other tidbits to please readers.

I enjoyed the series, and I enjoyed the stories. Flanagan ended the series at a good point. I think the series was beginning to run out of steam (too many deus ex machinas!) so he ended it before it could go downhill. These stories weren't good for episodes of another novel, but they complement the series well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Stories.