Tyler's Reviews > Post Office

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

M 50x66
Oct 24, 2011

liked it

I've only ever heard of Bukowski and I can definitely see his influence in more modern writers. This isn't a bad thing really, but I wasn't overly impressed with Post Office.

It's a good book, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it the whole way through... and even if I didn't, it's pretty short anyway.

I'm not sure if this is just how he writes as I'm certainly no expert on him, but I'll say he was smart enough to take a book about the Post Office (an interesting subject because I don't see many authors doing that) and not make it long or even incredibly detailed. It would be boring if he went into tons of detail, like he Blood Meridian'd it. So instead, he took a pretty monotonous job (then again, a lot of jobs are...) and moved it along at a brisk pace, which kept it interesting.

Was it fantastic? No. I mean, you read about him drinking, not showing up to work and fucking. I suppose that has its charm, especially among a certain group of people. It's entertaining, but the reviews on the back -- yes I know they always exaggerate -- saying this is the funniest book ever is just silly. It's not even close. It has a few funny moments, and a few sections I like -- namely when he set the mail on fire and then quipped, "I had all by myself, Henry Chinaski, revolutionized the postal system." -- but it was really never laugh out loud funny and I won't think about the jokes.

Still... Post Office has a very easy reading style, so it's very simple to plow through his stuff, and all-in-all it's a solid book. Just not amazing or mind-blowing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Post Office.