Brandie's Reviews > The Sweet Gum Tree

Oct 24, 2011

bookshelves: read-2012, favorites, romance
Recommended to Brandie by: Jana
Read from July 03 to 04, 2012

First of all I'm mad at myself for waiting so long to read this book. It's another gem that had been on my Kindle awhile and I kept putting it off. This book was incredible. I can not recommend it enough. Go.read.it.now!!

What an emotional roller coaster! I practically held my breath reading this entire book - if was so heart breaking, but so wonderful. Every single bit of it. I found myself crying or holding back sobs during most of it. I couldn't put it down and found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading.

The love Nick and Alix had - it was incredible. It broke my heart everytime they went through something horrible, which happened a lot in this book. But there were also wonderful moments where my heart was bursting because their love was so consuming and intense.

This book is told from Alix's point of view. She starts from the beginning of her childhood when she met Nick until present day. I loved how it was written in a way that sucks you in and won't let go. Beautifully written.

Just an amazing, emotional book (view spoiler) that had me crying tears of joy. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Gum Tree.

Quotes Brandie Liked

Katherine Allred
“Do you want to know the real reason I came back, Alix?” It was because of you. You’re my roots. Wherever you are would be home to me.”
Katherine Allred, The Sweet Gum Tree

07/03/2012
25.0% "This book is breaking my heart. So good I feel like I've been holding my breath reading it the past two hours." 3 comments
07/03/2012
40.0% 1 comment
07/04/2012
52.0% "Such a tear-jerker!!"
07/04/2012
75.0% "It's impossible to put this book down."
09/13/2016 marked as: read

Jennifer I really liked that book...I am interested to know ur feelings when you are done.

Brandie So far I'm loving it. It's breaking my heart but so good. I am stopping right before the real bad stuff is about to go down. If I keep reading, I'll never go to bed!

Jenn Yay! I'm glad you loved it too. It was such a sweet and good book. It broke my heart a ton and I cried too. But it was worth the read and loved the ending.

Brandie It was incredible!! I absolutely loved it!! It should be made into a movie.

Jenn Good review. I haven't written one because I wasn't even sure how to state what I wanted to say. It was an amazing book though. I loved it. I cried a ton too. lol

♥Rachel♥ So glad to see you loved this Brandie. I'm a little scared to read it if it's really heartbreaking though.

Jenn Oh Rachel- you HAVE to read it. It ends happily no worries. The two main people have to go through some stuff first that is sad but I think it makes them stronger and their relationship ten times better for the future.

♥Rachel♥ I will read it, especially with the high recommendations. :)

Jenn I hope Arlene reads it soon. She is the one who originally rec'd it and then she never got the chance to start it. So far everyone I know on here has marked it a 5 with the exception of one person, she gave it a 4. But still, that's pretty good. It's sweet the way it goes back to how the main two people grew up and were friends for years before they even started anything with each other. Then life throws them down a jacked up path. :o( Then they meet back up and it's about how life goes when they are thrown back together many years down the road back in the same home town.

Brandie Rachel, it is so worth reading! It helped me to know there was a happy ending, especially when so much happened and my heart broke multiple times reading it. But it was worth the tears and anxiety. I read it in a day and I rarely read a book that fast. Highly recommend!!

message 11: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Holy smokes! A day? You speedy reader you. :o) It is that good though. :o)

♥Rachel♥ That shows me you really loved it Brandie. I will definitely read this. Plus, it's $1.49 on Amazon. How can I resist?! :)

Brandie Such a great deal!! I've been so lucky to find all these great books from self published authors lately (I'm not sure if she's self-published - I'm only guessing because of the price). And that's a lot thanks to you ladies and SMC.

This book came highly recommended from another friend of mine on GR. I need to give her credit in my review. I'd never heard of it until she sang her praises and then I saw a lot of the SMC ladies had also read it.

♥Rachel♥ There are so many great books from self-published authors now! Easy by Tammara Webber is my favorite book so far this year and she's a self-pub. Slammed was a close second in love. I know you enjoyed both as well. I'm so glad I'm on GR because I wouldn't have known about either if not.

message 15: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn This author also wrote: What Price Paradise. I gave it a 4.5 and Jo Jo gave it a 5. It's a really good read too. Anyway, this author does go through an actual publisher. I was just checking that on her site as I was curious too. :o)

Brandie I'm really surprised by that, since this book was so cheap. I'll definitely have to check out her other book.

Easy and Slammed are two more favorites of mine. Along with all of the Abbi Glines books I've read this year. Ive gotten such great recommendations lately!! Love it!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Nice review Brandi. So glad you enjoyed this one.

Brandie Thanks!

message 19: by Cyndi (new) - added it

Cyndi I got this one last night!

Brandie You're gonna love it!! It is so good and impossible to put down!

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey After your review I looked it up on Barnes and Noble and to get it for my Nook it's only $1.49! So I bought it! :) It'll probably be the next book I read now.

Brandie It's worth the money. Hope you enjoy!

message 23: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin God, I finished this today and I'm thinking the same thing as the first sentence of your review! I kept putting it off thinking it wouldn't be that great, and oh my god I'm just numb right now!!!

Brandie I know right?! It blew me away! So good. I'm glad you liked it!

♥Rachel♥ I totally held my breath reading this too Brandie. I kept flipping the pages quickly to see what was going to happen next and (view spoiler)

Brandie I agree!! This one really had my heart pounding! I'm glad you liked it!

Jenniferღ I've been putting this one off, don't you hate that the ones you ignore for a bit end up being the best! I'll put it on my next book list, thanks for the push!

Brandie I definitely recommend making it a priority! It's wonderful!

Jenniferღ Lol thanks!

Annie Brewer This. book. is. Incredible.! Alix and Nick are such amazing lovable characters!!!! Ahhhhhh their love brings me to my knees.....

message 31: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Jennifer wrote: "I've been putting this one off, don't you hate that the ones you ignore for a bit end up being the best! I'll put it on my next book list, thanks for the push!"

Yeah, definitely put this on the 'reading next' list, it's unforgettable!!

message 32: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Annie wrote: "This. book. is. Incredible.! Alix and Nick are such amazing lovable characters!!!! Ahhhhhh their love brings me to my knees....."

So glad you're reading this one, Annie!! It's just outstanding, I hope a lot more members get to it now that we're all talking about it so much!

Annie Brewer Yeah I will be recommending it for sure once my heart has been pieced back together!!! lol :(

Jenniferღ Annie wrote: "This. book. is. Incredible.! Alix and Nick are such amazing lovable characters!!!! Ahhhhhh their love brings me to my knees....."

Thanks Erin will def look into it for my next read!