Karen's Reviews > The Clan of the Cave Bear

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: at-library, historical, paranormal, female-protagonist, humans-are-people-too, over-hyped, series, 2012
Read from July 07 to 17, 2012

I couldn't decide whether to give this one a 2.5 or a 4; it really could have gone either way.

So, the things that would have made it a 4.

What an original idea! There is very little that tells us of the personal and daily lives of early hominids. There is a lot left to the imagination, and Auel used that very well. I can only imagine that she drew on existing ethnologies of tribal societies, and she used that to flesh out the tiny details that in all honestly we will never know about. She also made the clan believable, loveable, and dispicable (well, mostly Broud here). It was easy to get caught up in Ayla's love of life and her struggles to be accepted for her differences.

The things that made it a 2.5

Oh dear god stop the descriptions!!! For the love of all things Pete stop spending 5 pages on describing different types of trees!! I don't care!!

All the descriptions made it feel like a poorly written academic paper. I remember doing this as a student: "Looky!! I read five different sources for this so I am going to put in all the information I got out of it even if it doesn't actually pertain to the topic! See! I read stuff!" Seriously, there is a long passage describing, in technical terms, how to make stone tools. Terms such as 'bulb of percussion', striking platform', 'cortex', and 'lithic scarring' should never be used in a fictional book. I studied archaeology at uni, and I found the excessive descriptions of this nature boring and they should have been excluded.

Overall, an enjoyable book, but only if you learn to quickly skip the unimportant stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clan of the Cave Bear.

07/08/2012 page 26