Christy's Reviews > Life on the Refrigerator Door

Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers

Oct 24, 11

Read in October, 2011

This is the third time i read the novel. And to my disappointment, it seems to have lost a bit of its charm.
The last time i read the book was 2 or 3 years ago. So, to be honest, i only remember the flow of the story. It's still good, i am certain. It's just that it no longer makes me cry at the end, so i am kinda disappointed. Werid, right? I know.
Anyways, back to the story. Anyone can finish the book in at most an hour and a half. It's compiled of notes from the daughter to the mother, and from mother to daughter. A simple yet moving story indeed.
The reason why i decided to read this novel for the third time is that i was, still am stuck in my portfolio which focuses on the theme of love and death. The theme of love and death is very prominent in this novel. So, yeah, that's what made me put this book into my bag this morning before school. And i finshed it about the time school ended. So, yup, it's a super fast and thought-provoking read.
Just because i didn't cry as i expected doesn't make this not a good book though. Just the idea of using notes to create a novel is already beyond brilliant and creative. Plus, the novel is very thought-provoking, which i have already mentioned. It really makes you think about how would you handle the thing if you were in the protagonist's situation. And my answer? I would probably be as bad as her. Maybe even worse.
And yes, although it doesn't give me any concrete ideas for my portfolio work, it gives me seomthing that i can't really place my fingers on.
Anyway, this novel proves that a short and fast read can be as thought-provoking and moving as a full-length novel.
If you have an hour or so of free time, i would undoubtedly suggest you to go for it. I am quite sure that you will like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life on the Refrigerator Door.