Chortle's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

F 50x66
Oct 23, 2011

bookshelves: war-stories, surrealism, japan, favorites, fiction
Recommended for: Sci-Fi, Magical Realism, Thriller readers, artsy, cross-cultural, urban, slightly advanced readers
Read from October 23 to December 07, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Grabbed my attention and did not let go. This is non-linear to a certain extent, so you have to have a little patience and go for the ride, which is written with haunting elements, and this is why I absolutely adore Haruki Murakami, of magical realism or surrealism. Nothing in the magical realism/surrealism seems too fantastic. There's no ridiculous Deus ex Machina, but rather a light seamless feel to the introduction and sequences containing those elements. If you're stuck on having a 'perfect' ending or a tight plot and stories that don't have tangents then this is not the book for you. The tangents are fun and do integrate into the main story very well, so it won't be too distracting. Better perhaps for a slightly advanced reader, but not overwhelming. I do not recall any boring passages which is probably unusual for such a long book, and if it were longer, it would probably still feel like a shorter book than it is. I'd started other books of his and did not finish, so this is probably one of his best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

10/23/2011 page 80
13.0% "So far is fulfilling some of my deepest desires: odd characters, odd experiences, nervous tension."
10/28/2011 page 175
29.0% "Excellent!"
11/05/2011 page 314
52.0% "ADDICTIVE"
11/09/2011 page 362
60.0% "ADDICTIVE, WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS BOOK?"
show 4 hidden updates…