keith koenigsberg's Reviews > What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Hear... by Thomas Frank

May 21, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in April, 2012

A scathing polemic diatribe, this book discusses how the conservatives have won the hearts and minds of a state which, by any of the author's yardsticks, ought to vote liberal. Frank is preaching to choir with me. However, even as I sit on his side of the fence, I could not help but fault this book for a)lack of humor (the tone is as screechingly accusatory as any of the conservative pundits he enjoys bashing) b)lack of economic, scientific, or other logical background. He sets up the chapters with vignettes, and with bits and pieces pulled from various studies and articles, but time after time he leaves me feeling like his views (which are my views!) are not backed by too much evidence at all. So I went into this book looking for background I could use to support my views, and left without satisfaction..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America.