RomReader's Reviews > Scandal of the Year

Scandal of the Year by Laura Lee Guhrke

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: historical

Unconventional divorcee asks conservative duke for employment due to her large debts. Hero hires her as his social secretary to help him find a suitable wife. Their frequent contact makes it harder for Hero to resist his strong & long-time attraction to her. He's been in love with her since they 1st met 12 years before & she was engaged to be married. Heroine has always known of his interest in her but she's only become aware of her sexual attraction to him & is frightened by it. She later succumbs to their mutual attraction but does not want to marry again. How will Hero convince her otherwise?

I wasn't very impressed with this Guhrke book & I usually am with many of her books. Although the writing & romance development was good I just didn't care much for the heroine. She seemed too self-absorbed. When she & Hero 1st met when she was 17 she was carefree & self-focused. Twelve years later she was still self-focused & her carefree attitude morphed into a frenzied quest for freedom from responsibilities. The poor Hero suffered from unrequited love & being used & manipulated by her. And he still bent over to help her with her troubles. Hero is definitely not an alpha-male hero but I wouldn't call him a doormat either. He's just a nice guy who wants a good-enough marriage & family. But his heart is with heroine & he eventually is able to chip down her defenses by his good-guyness. Sexual chemistry was one-sided until ½ of the book. Sex scenes were detailed but there were only a couple scenes. I believed that heroine did eventually fall for Hero but Hero still seemed to love her more even at the end.

Somewhat recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandal of the Year.