Laurel's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Oct 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian, sigh, damn-love-traingles, brain-cell-killers, i-become-a-snark-shark-for-this, read-em-once-then-it-s-done, the-hell-was-this, um-what, why, why-is-this-a-series, ya, plot-was-on-vacation, structure-whats-that
Recommended to Laurel by: My poor eyes
Recommended for: People who are against brain cells
Read from November 18 to 24, 2011

Rage.
Hardcore TURKEY RAGE.
(Happy Thanksgiving all my American buddies by the way)

What WAS THIS?
This was a book? Really? This didn’t have the components of a book.
Okay...total components: Allusions, characters, exposition, characterization.

There really are no words properly defining my rage. Ally Condie CANNOT tell a story. A story should draw you in with its writing and send you off on an adventre that does a good job at blowing your mind. Crossed did not do that. It refused to do that. In fact, if it were a living person, I’d probably get beat up for asking what the story was. Really, it’s not there. I swear to you, or else I‘d remember this book.

And I don’t.
Already.
What does that tell you about my attention span for this thingy?

Once upon a time, in my junior year of high school, I thought it’d be fun to write a story. And so I did. Took me a year, but I actually finished a whole draft by graduation. I didn’t look at it forever, then beginning of my sophmore of college, I looked back at it, hated the fuck out of it, and started rewriting it, this time with the knowledge of how to write a series and using themes, motifs, character arcs, climax system, the works.

(My baby’s growing up so nicely and at the rate I’m going, I could be sending queries by April. Here’s to hoping)

But, I can honestly say that the shitty, choppy, “let me tell you a story and nothing else” draft I finished in 2009 had more depth than this discombobulated pile of rubbish.

Crossed had this blurb:

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.

I will say that, though the blurb is indeed true to an extent, it is far far FAAAAR more boring than it sounds. And with a cover with as painful a position as this piece of work:

Yeah. No thanks.
I’d like to look RELAXED when I’m smushing my boobs and drinking coffee before getting on my toes and breaking my blue bubble shield.

Crossed attempts to tell the story of Cassia’s struggles to find Ky and the Rising to stop the Enemy and the Society and the Capital Letters from being Misused or Strangely Placed in awKward positionS because it’s STUPID.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I’m cool I’m cool...let’s get to the breakdown.

Le writing. As much as this book infuriates me above all reason, I have to give a second star to Condie and her ability to incorporate awesome poetry as well as the ability to write some decent scenes. I only wish these fabulous scenes existed THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE BOOK. I mean, the scene where Cassia and Ky finally reunite? Brilliant. Adorable. Love it to bits. Everything leading up to that? Dull. Slow. Boring. Way too many robots.

But as nicely as Condie can write when she feels like it, it doesn’t cut it. This book is a huge massive mess. We don’t know what anyone is talking about, and we’re forced to cope. Again. Just like Book the First. However, guess what Cassia and Ky have that the Hunger Games cast doesn’t? CHARACTER ARCS YAAAAAAY. Cassia is actually changing, and thank god I see some sort of hope in this book even if the spine of the story is deteriorated to absolutely nothing.

I will reiterate: Condie cannot write a story. She cannot follow the POVs of two different characters. It’s different POVs for a reason. Ky should not sound like Cassia, and Eli should sound a lot younger than the oldest kid Hunter. This comes into the importance of character voices. I mean, doing a voice should be easier in 1st person because you can use fragments and be as choppy as you damn well please.

I know I got a second story involving zombies. It follows a hard-working police officer and a cynical math sub who hates where his futures going. What would happen if they sounded the same? It would sound like this book. It’d be dull, terrible, and so snail-paced, it’s not even funny. Having structure also helps a fuckton, but Condie doesn’t know that yet.

I swear, every time I felt myself getting bored, my eyes would stare at the invisible camera like this:

Characters

Cassia and Ky were basically the same person. They started out having difference, but no, they blended into one being by the end of Crossed. I was happy though, that we got a few new characters who were interesting and had voices all their own: Eli and Indie.

Indie was the shit. She was determined and fierce. I fucking loved her. I’m so glad that we didn’t get her POV because I feel that Condie was going to use her poetic magic to make her a robot like Ky and Cassia. These characters have the potential, they really do. But again, Condie just can’t deliver. I hate to say it, I do, but it pisses me off so much that this book fails because that potential is indeed there. I see it!

I don’t understand the need for the love triangle. I keep forgetting that this was supposed to be one, but it’s clearly not happening anymore. Xander has gotten no screen time in this series. He’s just a name that’s plucked out of one of the bajillion blue tablets once in a while. Ky’s also grown into a dick so I say Cassia should just wander off on her own.

Also, what about the rest of her family? Cassia’s all “KY KY KY” and not about Mr. and Mrs. Reyes, Bram, anybody. Her ‘best friend’ Emma? That Norah chick or whoever? Or how about that Mira girl from page 20 that we never see again ever? My rule for those one scene characters is to give them at least a few lines of dialogue if I’m going to name them. I know I have a number in my first book, but when they’re there, they are actually driving the plot! THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING.

This was just bogus. Nonsensical dumb stuff.
SPEAKING OF WHICH......

DAT PLOT STRUCTURE

If you tell me that there is proper structure in this book...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is structure, but it is a skeleton. It follows a completely different premise of the first. These two don’t even feel like they LINK together, you know? Cassia just says, “I gotta find Ky!” in Matched, and then POOF, she’s already at the Outer Provinces? The fuck? Oh, and lemme list all the capitalized things in this book. Because I found it necessary.

Reclassification
The Warming

The Enemy
The Aberrations
The Anomalies
The WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Out of all those things, I can really tell you in detail what...three of them are. Condie just lists these things like, “We don’t want another Warming! YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT THAT IS RIGHT? Too bad, we’re moving along.” Like fuck, woman, you have to inform me what the hell the Warming was, or what Anomalies are (yeah we STILL don’t know). There are way too many questions right now that are just blowing my mind.

The world-building...I tell ya...

I was also left baffled by some of the concepts Condie brought up in this book. One in particular: the red tablets’ effects. Apparently, if one’s immune to the red tablet, they’re part of the Rising. How does that work? Are they born in non-Society boundaries? Why didn’t Ky know this? If you’re Reclassified, how do the red tablets work? THESE ARE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS.

Oh and I don’t feel like I’m spoiling on you for this. There is no climax. No hint of a resolution of ANY kind other than, “Derpaderp, you found the Rising.” Like the blurb fucking said Cassia would. And lemme tell you, the paths are indeed twisted more than ever.

Every book in a series should have a climax. Not a big battle, but something that will set the plans in motion for the next book. This book, like Matched, just ends so fucking abruptly that I’m left to go, “WHAT HUH WHY YOU DO THAT?” The way Condie ends things just kills me. Nothing is getting explained, nothing is getting worked out, and I’m sick of going on about this series.

It is not good.
It’s so annoying to read.

I can’t keep doing this to myself. I’m gonna finish up a good book. One that has a plot, and an ending, and words that tell a story.

asdfjlkbg...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

11/18/2011 page 2
1.0% "Why hello Ky POV. I rather like you, Ky, so DON'T MAKE ME HATE YOU WITH YOUR POV."
11/18/2011 page 3
1.0% "Lol okay then...dumping a body. No big deal no big deal."
11/18/2011 page 4
1.0% "What color is November? Please enlighten me, Cassia. Is it like...its gemstone, topaz?"
11/18/2011 page 11
3.0% "Something tells me Indie and Mira are gonna be pointless characters that are never seen again."
11/18/2011 page 14
4.0% "Lol Ky, where the fuck are you? Are you on a battlefield? Air ships exist in this universe? The hell is even going on?"
11/18/2011 page 17
4.0% "What is the difference between Officials and Officers? WHO IS THE ENEMY? FUCK, why so many questions already?!"
11/18/2011 page 25
7.0% "WRITERS: It's one thing to know everything about your story, but remember that the reader does not know as much as you do in terms of your world. You must explain. Condie, you're doing it wrong."
11/18/2011 page 30
8.0% "All these place names are hurting my brain."
11/18/2011 page 32
8.0% "YOU TRADED A COMPASS IN HOPES FOR A MAP? Don't you need that compass/map combo to fucking find Ky?!" 4 comments
11/18/2011 page 37
10.0% "Ugggh something's going to happens soon right?"
11/18/2011 page 41
11.0% "Ky, you're turning robotic! STOP! Ahhhhh fuck."
11/18/2011 page 43
11.0% "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. We finally know what blue pills do, and Cassia's got a ton of those?? AHAHAHA"
11/18/2011 page 48
13.0% "WHO. THE FUCK. IS THE ENEMY. WORDS. USE THEM."
11/18/2011 page 60
16.0% "I'm bored. Why isn't something happening yet. Plooooot! You're needed! Baby, come back to me!"
11/19/2011 page 68
18.0% "There are gonna be a few more gems like this aren't there? Condie's fucking teasing the shit out of me."
11/19/2011 page 76
20.0% "This is reading like a completely different story. Almost too different to be the same series...and that's not in a good way."
11/19/2011 page 90
23.0% "Ky and Cassia sound the same. Oy."
11/19/2011 page 96
25.0% "OSDGFNAS;KDGJNA;KFHN I'D CARE ABOUT KY AND VICK AND ELI IF I KNEW WHO THE GODDAMN ENEMY WAS."
11/19/2011 page 110
29.0% "Another gem of a scene thrown into this shlupp. Why can't Condie be consistent? WHY?"
11/19/2011 page 130
34.0% "Annnd what are Anomalies supposed to look like? WHO IS THE ENEMY. THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS EVEN TALKING ABOUT."
11/19/2011 page 135
35.0% "Oh my gosh we're getting somewhere. YAY WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE!"
11/19/2011 page 139
36.0% "Ky, you're getting better. Don't mess it up. DON'T. DON'T DO IT."
11/19/2011 page 162
42.0% "You sure this is a love triangle, Condie? This is not smelling like one, NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING about it."
11/19/2011 page 168
44.0% "The Warming? THE FUCK IS THE WARMING?! If it's global warming, whatevs, but SAY SO. Condie, if you capitalize another thing and not explain it I'm gonna find you."
11/19/2011 page 173
45.0% "Stoooooooooop sounding alike."
11/19/2011 page 178
46.0% "CASSIA YOU ARE DUMB. Indie clearly knows more than you about this sort of thing. LISTEN TO HER WISDOM."
11/19/2011 page 190
49.0% "That was actually really cute. CONDIE BE MORE CONSISTENT. Dear lord."
11/20/2011 page 200
52.0% "Where are this short as hell chapters coming from? Are you confused as to who you want to stick with, Condie?"
11/20/2011 page 220
57.0% "LOOOOL dude's got my brother's name. And they may be the same age. This is awkward."
11/21/2011 page 226
59.0% "I'm so bored. I'm glad I didn't spend money on this book."
11/21/2011 page 230
60.0% "So...someone tell me where the hell Ky and Cassia are going with Hunter. Condie hates explaining plot things."
11/21/2011 page 246
64.0% "Wait WHAT? WHAT WHAT WHAT? I don't...WHAT?"
11/21/2011 page 254
66.0% "WHAT SECRET? ARRRRGH JUST FUCKING TELL ME. DRAMATIC IRONY IS OKAY (And it can be FUN). Honestly, writers, if you have a plot point like this secret hiding nonsense, DON'T BEAT AROUND THE BUSH UNLESS YOU CAN DO IT RIGHT. Image and video hosting by TinyPic"
11/22/2011 page 270
70.0% "I don't care about any of this in the slightest. I'm officially torturing myself. Image and video hosting by TinyPic"
11/22/2011 page 278
72.0% "Took you long enough to get somewhere, Condie... Image and video hosting by TinyPic"
11/22/2011 page 279
73.0% "If I wasn't so angered in trying to find out everything that was happening, I would've seen that coming. FINALLY know the secret. Finally. Oy."
11/22/2011 page 281
73.0% "KY. KY. WHAT THE FLYING FUCK. WHAT THE FUCK, KY. Indie is a decent character and you just lost ALL OF MY RESPECT. Image and video hosting by TinyPic"
11/22/2011 page 285
74.0% "Sorry but the whole thing with the red tablet is completely illogical. If you're Reclassified to an Aberration, are you magically immune to the red tablets? Immunity means being part of the Rising? How can that even work? AM I EVER GETTING A CLEAR CUT EXPLANATION? This is silly and nonsensical." 2 comments
11/22/2011 page 292
76.0% "Oh my god what's going on. Ky why the fuck are you being so douchey?! What the hell happened to you? Goddammit."
11/23/2011 page 299
78.0% "Good for you, Cassia! Really."
11/23/2011 page 301
78.0% "It's only been a few DAYS from page 1 to here?? Criminy!"
11/24/2011 page 305
79.0% "Alright Cassia, even though you sound like Ky, this chapter says it's you, so I'm going to HIGHFIVE you, for being a normal person. *double checks chapter* Yup, definitely Cassia. Good. Fuck you, Ky."
11/24/2011 page 339
88.0% "Fffffffffffff this is all developing characters that I'm trying to care about but can't seem to."
11/24/2011 page 350
91.0% "I'm getting impatient. There's gotta be a climax somewhere right? RIGHT? CLIMAX? PLEASE? SOMEWHERE? I'm gonna cry."
11/24/2011 page 384
100.0% "What. What the shit. IT JUST ENDS LIKE THAT? THERE'S NO...HOW DID THIS GET PUBLISHED? Oh god I am FURIOUS." 1 comment
02/03/2016 marked as: read

KJ Shadows 1. I can sit like that but it wont be comfortable 2. That chick is ridiculously good looking. I doubt she'd just be at her house drinking coffee on her couch.

Nice try spiderman.

☞Sierra☜ Bookworm☺️♪ this is hilarious! but, sadly, i must agree with most of this, even though i quite liked Matched. keep writing awesome (and truthful) reviews, Ghirardelli!

Ayla I agree with every word in this review. This review had more of a plot than Crossed did.

Laurel Ayla wrote: "I agree with every word in this review. This review had more of a plot than Crossed did."

Haha thank you, Ayla! Sometimes it's best to be frank.

☞Proud☜ wrote: "this is hilarious! but, sadly, i must agree with most of this, even though i quite liked Matched. keep writing awesome (and truthful) reviews, Ghirardelli!"

Thank you Proud! And I will!

Steph Sinclair Yes! This review. This review is brilliant. :D

The part where they reunite and she points to the sky...I felt that. That's the best part of the book and until I read your review, I'd totally forgot about that part. Hmm...that's not good, is it?
The capitalization, The Warming, the climax...you covered it all. So awesome!

Laurel Stephanie wrote: "Yes! This review. This review is brilliant. :D

Thank you dear! I totally agree that their reuniting moment was the best. I just wish Condie was consistent!!

hpboy13 Now that you bring up all that capitalized stuff, I'm wondering that too... but as I was reading, I just found myself not caring.

Megan You want a great book? Read AngelFall by Susan Ee! :)

Laurel Megan wrote: "You want a great book? Read AngelFall by Susan Ee! :)"

I'm actually currently reading it! It's pretty good so far!

message 10: by Megan (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan @Ghirardelli, AngelFall will leave you with a smile in your heart, unlike Crossed which left pretty much everyone with a frown in thier heart. Couldn't agree with you more on your review!

message 11: by Megan (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan their*

message 12: by Rhi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rhi I wish I had read this before I wrote my review. I could have skipped all my excessive screamy caps lock usage and just linked to your REVIEW OF TRUTH AND AWESOME.
(Nope. I kinda like the caps lock.)

message 13: by Rhi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rhi Also, the Daniel Radcliffe gif? I laughed for too long.

message 14: by Kiki (last edited Jan 30, 2012 10:30AM) (new)

Kiki So tell me about this book you're writing. I'm extremely interested. I love to hear about unpublished books.

PM me if you don't want to spill all in comments.

(Also, I peed my pants laughing at those Sora pics. I miss Mindfuck Kingdom Hearts.)

Megan BRILLIANT! I think I could probably publish my Odd to Bathroom Cubicle Messages after seeing this thing on store shelves!

Laurel Rhi wrote: "I wish I had read this before I wrote my review. I could have skipped all my excessive screamy caps lock usage and just linked to your REVIEW OF TRUTH AND AWESOME.
(Nope. I kinda like the caps lock.)"

Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed the review, Rhi! :)

Kira wrote: "So tell me about this book you're writing. I'm extremely interested. I love to hear about unpublished books.

PM me if you don't want to spill all in comments.

(Also, I peed my pants laughing at t..."

Or really?! :D I'll definitely do that, Kira! (Just lemme know if you want the whole deal or a blurb.)

((YES SORA! I miss KH too, it's such good fluff! I almost want to get me a 3DS for the new game.))

Laurel Megan wrote: "BRILLIANT! I think I could probably publish my Odd to Bathroom Cubicle Messages after seeing this thing on store shelves!"

Odd to Bathroom Cubicle Messages? That sounds awesome already!

message 18: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Ghirardelli wrote: "Rhi wrote: "I wish I had read this before I wrote my review. I could have skipped all my excessive screamy caps lock usage and just linked to your REVIEW OF TRUTH AND AWESOME.
(Nope. I kinda like t..."

I want the whole deal! I'm very interested. I also have a bunch of time because I'm on vacation until Friday, so if you'd like me to beta read, I will.

message 19: by Laurel (last edited Jan 30, 2012 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laurel Kira wrote: "Ghirardelli wrote: "Rhi wrote: "I wish I had read this before I wrote my review. I could have skipped all my excessive screamy caps lock usage and just linked to your REVIEW OF TRUTH AND AWESOME.
(..."

Oh my goodness! 8D I'll start typing up the first book's synopsis for you and ship it over via PM! (I'd totally love a beta-reader, but I think I should finish the manuscript first. :P)

message 20: by Kiki (new)

Kiki Ghirardelli wrote: "Kira wrote: "Ghirardelli wrote: "Rhi wrote: "I wish I had read this before I wrote my review. I could have skipped all my excessive screamy caps lock usage and just linked to your REVIEW OF TRUTH A..."

Yay! And no worries; it's prob better that you yourself are happy with the manuscript before you have anyone else read it. Just let me know when you're ready for a beta-reader, because I'd be happy to do it.

Laurel Kira wrote: "Ghirardelli wrote: "Kira wrote: "Ghirardelli wrote: "Rhi wrote: "I wish I had read this before I wrote my review. I could have skipped all my excessive screamy caps lock usage and just linked to yo..."

I'll remember that for sure! :) Thanks, Kira!

message 22: by Lissa (new)

Lissa In Matched there was no third act and it appears this book has followed that structure. Nothing makes me want to read it and I'm extremely disappointed in the publishers for giving the author such a high payment for a book that can't even follow basic plot acts and I'm disappointed that whatever agent thought this was actually a book.

Megan It does doesn't it... hmm it was a joke but now I'm seriously considering it!
Odd to Bathroom Cubicle Messages, The inside stories behind all that chicken scratch.

Megan Lissa wrote: "In Matched there was no third act and it appears this book has followed that structure. Nothing makes me want to read it and I'm extremely disappointed in the publishers for giving the author such ..."

What was the payment?

message 25: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Megan wrote: "Lissa wrote: "In Matched there was no third act and it appears this book has followed that structure. Nothing makes me want to read it and I'm extremely disappointed in the publishers for giving th..."

It was huge. It was seven figures from what I remember. I think it was the highest of any YA author of the year. Or something.

Don't get me wrong, I really do think Condie can write. She writes gorgeous prose... but she can't plot. I was really enjoying Matched until it ended.

Megan Lissa wrote: "Megan wrote: "Lissa wrote: "In Matched there was no third act and it appears this book has followed that structure. Nothing makes me want to read it and I'm extremely disappointed in the publishers..."

WOOOOOOW... with a payment like that one would hope someone would think about things a bit harder. You know really make an effort instead of taking the money and running, leaving behind a bag of flaming shit on everyone's doorstep.

message 27: by Lissa (new)

Lissa Yeah it's a pity Matched has almost as many 3 star ratings on GR as it does 5 star with an advance like that.

Tyffani Ramey I enjoyed Matched a lot, and was excited to read Crossed. I still haven't finished it. I have five pages left - five measly little pages, and I still haven't gathered the motivation to finish it. Isn't the end usually the best part? The part that keep you going and you feel that disappointment that the book is finished, because you want more? You were absolutely correct about everything you just said. Maybe after I finish telling you how much I agree with you, I'll go finish it, if only just to mark the book as "read" on here but really for no other reason.

Laurel Tyffani wrote: "I enjoyed Matched a lot, and was excited to read Crossed. I still haven't finished it. I have five pages left - five measly little pages, and I still haven't gathered the motivation to finish it. I..."

Well there are times where you can't finish a book for certain reasons. The ending SHOULD hold some excitement, and the second book end of a trilogy should have some of the most crucial tension in a series. Thank you for the lovely feedback, Tyffani!

Roanna Benfield I really agree on what you're saying and I love the shelves it's on XD. I enjoyed reading your review about ten times more than I enjoyed reading the book.

message 31: by Brie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brie Spot on review!

Laurel Thank you, Roanna and Brie! :D

shady Did you like the first one? Cause I did and this one still disappointed me anyway. ._. Great review.

Laurel fαuzαn | wιld нearт wrote: "Did you like the first one? Cause I did and this one still disappointed me anyway. ._. Great review."

I actually wasn't too fond of the first one either. :/ Thank you, though, Fauzan!

shady I loved the first one probably because it was my first ever dystopian read, and I probably wouldn't like it as much now, since I've read dozens of dystopians. But yeah, I read this one and it bored me to tears.

message 36: by Anais (new)

Anais I think I just enjoyed your review more than I would if I read the book. Thanks for that, we should bond over coffe and bad plot structures.

Laurel Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and I would LOVE a coffee sit down with rambles about poor plot structures. :)

message 38: by Siuyee (new)

Siuyee Your review was freaking amazing xD I totallyyyyy agree with what you wrote. Plus there's Kingdom Hearts II! HAHAHA. :D

message 39: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Ghirahim and midna! XD

Laurel Lisa wrote: "Ghirahim and midna! XD"

Always. ;)

Siuyee wrote: "Your review was freaking amazing xD I totallyyyyy agree with what you wrote. Plus there's Kingdom Hearts II! HAHAHA. :D"

Yes! Thank you!

Erika I absolutely agree with you...you just put into words my emotions after reading this book :)

Angela Um...I may have fallen asleep reading your review! Honestly for someone who didn't really like the book or remember it you had a lot to say.

Ashlee I was really frustrated and confused. I couldn't follow it so I didn't manage to read all of it. I like your reviews though of these books. Perfectly described everything that was wrong and the reason I put it down and picked it back up and I couldn't make my eyes read it. It was a waste of time to try and read.

Jane My reaction to the cover: "Oh look, Cass/Cassie/Cassia/whateverthefuckhernameis is practicing yoga inside a ball! This looks so interesting!"

Laura Wow, I came here to read reviews so I would hopefully not have to read the rest of the book and could just move on to book #3. Also falling asleep the whole effing time.

But, had to comment on this one because you agreed with me on a point no one else ever has. Hunger Game characters make no movement or growth over the entire series, even though a bunch of shit happens to them that should make them learn or grow. Katniss is, to me, an awful main character and her choices and reactions to things made me want to scream! Thank you for finally giving me some validation that I wasn't crazy.