Wendi's Reviews > The Minority Report

The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick

May 22, 08

Recommended for: Tina
Read in May, 2008

** spoiler alert ** My, what an interesting book! Quick read, good plot, interesting but slightly 2 dimensional characters. Not much like the movie, which is just fine.

Something I thought was cool - there really isn't a protagonist in this novel. Everyone is out for their own personal gain. Anderton doesn't want to lose his position or Precrime. Witwer wants Anderton's job. Kaplan wants the Army back in control instead of the government.

We're set up to think Anderton is the protagonist because he's the one being sought after for a possible murder. But when he finds out that there really is no minority report, that the precogs' reports cancel each other out instead of having a majority report, he still doesn't seem to be remorseful for any of the people that he has put into the internment camps throughout his years in Precrime. When someone suggests to him that Precrime should instead let the accused future muderer know about his/her possible crime to see if he or she changes his or her mind, he's very blaise about it. The only reason the precogs' reports change is because Anderton knows that he's being accused of a future murder to which he believes he won't commit but then after realizing why he might commit murder he changes his mind.

This is definitely a anti-uptopian book (from Wikipedia: As in George Orwell's 1984, a dystopia does not pretend to be utopian, while an anti-utopia appears to be utopian or was intended to be so, but a fatal flaw or other factor has destroyed or twisted the intended utopian world or concept). No one comes right out and says the government and the Army is controlling the minds of the citizens, but at the end we see how everyone readily accepts whatever Kaplan says. I think Anderton's wife is the only one that brings up the subject of free will although she doesn't actually say free will.

Very good read.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Minority Report.