Sesana's Reviews > All-Star Superman, Vol. 1

All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: comics, superhumans, fantasy, science-fiction
Read in October, 2011

Dear Grant Morrison,

It's not you, it's me. I should have known better. I've never been a big fan of Superman. We both know that I'm much more of a Batman sort of girl. I can't think of a single Superman book that I've loved. I probably should have left well enough alone. But I was curious, and anything had to be better than Frank Miller's All-Star Batman. That much was true. At least you seem to understand Superman's character, in a way that Miller no longer understands Batman's and has never understood Superman's. You know that the core of him is defined by Ma and Pa Kent. I can respect that. There's so much temptation to make things darker and edgier, and you withstood much of that. And we all know that you're a writer with no problem going to the dark side. And I have to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for not writing your female characters as sex objects.

That's the good part. But I thought the point of these All-Star books was supposed to be in presenting these iconic characters without all of the backstory getting in the way. But it felt like a lot of backstory was floating around here, and not being well-versed in Superlore, I felt lost half the time. Like, who the hell is Samson? I'm still not sure. I'm pretty sure I don't want to know. He wasn't exactly engaging while he was onstage. In fact, most of the individual storylines were less than compelling. The overarching storyline, about Superman facing death, was actually quite interesting. Maybe a bit more of that and a bit less of Lois's birthday superpowers.

It all felt very retro, in a way, right down to Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane getting superpowers for a day. I think I remember seeing a story like that from back in the Silver Age. The whole thing felt Silver Age. But that's not really my thing, so it didn't work for me. Again, it's not you, it's me. I'm sure there are plenty of readers who adore Silver Age stylings, and they'd be right at home here.

Also, could you tell Frank Quitely that Superman gave up the donuts long ago? I know that's his style, but everybody just looks so round. So much like the plush toy versions. It looks odd, especially on Superman. Can't say I'm a fan of that.

With polite indifference,
Sesana

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Star Superman, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steve Davies Agreed. There must be a Superman novel out there that does it for you. Surely.

Sesana I did really like Action Comics, Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel. Less so volumes 2 and 3.