Emily's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, ya-fiction, online-book-group, outside-u-s-a, serious-subject-matter
Read in October, 2011

Why I picked it up: I joined a new online book group (through goodreads!) and this was the October read.

I really wish Goodreads would let you do half stars. I'd give this one 3 1/2, but I bumped it to 4 because I didn't think 3 was enough. Plus, this is a book that sticks with you after you've put it down, and I think that should count for something.

Like most historical fiction set during WWII, this is not an easy read. But is is incredibly eye-opening. The concentration camps of the Nazis get so much attention that many of us don't realize that the Russians sent thousands of Lithuanians, Latvians, Estonians, and Finns to prison/labor camps in Siberia. The Baltic states basically disappeared for 50 years. This is not a cheery book, but it is engrossing, enlightening, and even uplifting, as all tales of complete strangers becoming each others families tend to be.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.