Ashley's Reviews > Flotsam

Flotsam by David Wiesner

Oct 23, 11

Flotsam
1.Wordless

2.After developing the film from a camera he found on the beach, a boy can see everywhere the camera has been, what it has “seen”, and who has found the camera before him!

3.Critique

a.Illustrations

b.The pictures are everything in this book, as there are no words to tell a story. No words are needed, however, because the pictures are so beautiful and descriptive. They can tell the story better than any words could, because it allows the reader to generate their own narrative within themselves and appreciate the book from their own reference points.

c.Every page tells the story of where the camera has been, but I do like the fact that we can see what other children did with the camera.

4.I love wordless books because I think it gives students an opportunity to be creative and incorporate their own knowledge. This book could be the starting point for an assignment where the students write their own story to go along with the pictures, or even have each student bring in some pictures, and have them exchange them or combine them, then each student could write a narrative based on the class’ pictures!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flotsam.

Sharne' Cherry I read this book earlier in the semester and I was just interested in what somebody else thought about the title. I was interested to find “They can tell the story better than any words could, because it allows the reader to generate their own narrative within themselves and appreciate the book from their own reference points.” Your points summed up exactly what I thought. I loved the illustrations in this title and how they told the story without any words being provided.