Ashley's Reviews > The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka

Oct 23, 2011

1.Traditional Literature

2.Jack, the narrator, completely turns our favorite fairy tales and stories upside down as unrelenting sarcasm seeps from every word in every story. The characters are mingled together, one story may get mixed with another, and characters who never before met are now all part of one hilarious book! Jack even shows his disregard for literature by giving no respect to the order of reference pages within a book, and the addition of publisher information.

3.Critique

a.Humor

b.This book is hilarious! I was horrified at first, my literature-loving self taking it personally that there was no regard for sequencing within the book! However, after only a few pages I could not stop laughing as the author brilliantly re-worked familiar stories like Jack and the Beanstalk and Cinderella into bitterly realistic tales. The humor can be appreciated on many levels, from the eclectic, abstract pictures with cartoonish faces to the knifing sarcasm that permeated every page.

c.The title page and publishers information pages were completely disrespected, as the title page was replaced by the Little Red Hen attempting to prematurely begin her story, and Jack cares so little he placed the publisher’s page upside down and half off of the page!

4.This book is so unique, I feel that many ages and grade levels can incorporate it into their curriculum. For primary grades, it may be more difficult to get the humor, but some still this can be used to have the students identify parts of a story by pointing out major differences in the plots, characters, and conclusions. Additionally, for older grades, the students can use this as a springboard for writing their own endings to popular stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales.