Nick Smith's Reviews > The Eyes of the Dragon

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

May 21, 08

At times, King's approach to writing from a storyteller's perspective is a little cloying, and there's a lot of old-fashioned narrator presence in this one. "I'm sorry to say," "It's not for me to tell," "You'll have to make up your mind"; to me, this stuff is cute in very small doses but betrays a little too much the mechanics behind writing itself. It's difficult to get really lost in a story when the author continually reminds you that it's a story. Other than that, this is a good adventure yarn, and probably the closest King comes to being "safe for kids." The end could have used a bit more fleshing out, and the female characters are mostly window dressing, but the plot mechanics run smooth and the major characters are all easy to love (or love to hate). As a Dark Tower-related book, well, there's no reason one should feel that it can't be read without a Dark Tower background; other than character names, and the fact that the villain is probably the same as in the Dark Tower, there are no references that would escape a non-Dark Tower reader. Good recommendation for older kids and adults who liked Harry Potter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyes of the Dragon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by BeckyTalbot (new)

BeckyTalbot Nice review--I haven't read it, but I do hate that kind of thing most of the time, so I consider myself warned. Hope you're doing well, Nick. Are we still neighbors (Lincoln Square-Andersonville)? If so, seeing you sometime would be fabulous.

Kimberly I don't know.... don't you like a tall tale sometimes? I love a story, a simple well told story. It is o.k. that you know it is a story, its the magic of listening and being enchanted. When your parents told you tales the mere sound of their voice told you it was a tale right?

Nikki Lengkeek I agree, the constant interventions of an unknown omnipotent narrator was at times distracting. Otherwise a fun, escapist read.