Dorian's Reviews > The End of the Wasp Season

The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina

M 50x66
Dec 04, 13

I was grumpy about the first book in this series (see my review) and probably only picked this one up at the library because Jenny Davidson mentioned it in her blog. How delightful, then, to read this dark but never dour, complex work. The book uses the financial crisis to good effect. (I suspect we will get a lot of good crime fiction out of that mess, at least.) It's got a much better plot than the previous text. But what really makes it so terrific is the presentation, via the protagonist, now perhaps a tad more sympathetic due to her pregnancy, of police politics. I found Mina's analyses of the motivations of difficult people, and ways to use them (the difficult people I mean), avoid them, and often get screwed over by them to be all too relevant to the academic world in which I work.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of the Wasp Season.

message 1: by Rohan (new)

Rohan Maitzen Denise Mina is a crime writer I keep meaning to read more of (have read just one, I think) - perhaps I'll put this one on my Christmas list!

Dorian You should! The followup to this was good, too. And I see the fourth is due in the spring. The Paddy Meehan series she did before this was quite good, esp the first one. She wrote some books before that, too, but I haven't read them.