Destinee Sutton's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, teen, dystopia, adventure
Read from October 23 to 24, 2011

I raced through this whole series, gobbling it up like I was starved for it. I really think it has a lot in common with The Hunger Games. Here we go:

1. Both deal with the gray area between good and evil. Though the kids are clearly fighting against an evil leader, in both cases the opposition uses questionable tactics themselves.

2. Both have breakneck plotting full of danger and suspense, but not in a way that sacrifices good writing and character development.

3. Both have a love triangle, those it's way more important to Hunger Games than it is to Chaos Walking.

4. They both make these strong arguments about problems in society through an exaggerated reality. In Hunger Games, I'd say one main idea is that you can distract people from the suffering of others with a lot of sensational entertainment (bread and circuses), even when the suffering is the entertainment. In Chaos Walking, what stuck out for me was the idea of mob mentality. There is literal mind control in the book, but it also speaks to the kind of power any charismatic, power-hungry leader can have. In both series, our heroes can see these huge societal problems (and try to fix them) in a way the adults can't (or won't).

5. They both made me cry pretty hard.

So I definitely recommend this series for Hunger Games fans out there. I also recommend it on its own merits, of course. But I will say that I read through all three books so fast, I never stopped to criticize. I just devoured.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.