Shreya (CCReviews)'s Reviews > Dreamless

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Jun 01, 12

Read from May 26 to 31, 2012

Can true love be forgotten?
As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.
Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.
As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Man, I don't think it gets any more intense than this book does, cause if it did, I wouldn't have to go to hell, I'd be scorching hot enough, maybe even more. How does one describe this book in a few paragraphs? Problem being, one can't. It's just not possible. One can't even give this book the review it deserves in a 10-paged essay. That being said, I'll try my hardest to keep it short, simple, and sweet.

Helen Hamilton has never been in more pain or messed up in life before entering hell, literally. She is the "descender", in other words, the only Scion that is able to pass through into hell and lift the dreaded curse placed on all the scions of the world. This is a tough task, but she never gives up no matter how many times it hurts her emotionally as well as physically. The only thing that troubles her the most in the Underworld is her loneliness, that is, until she meets Orion. Orion is the only other scion that seems to be able to enter the Underworld. He is also special in many other ways. They hit it off instantly from first sight. This is because Orion offers to Helen what no one in her life seems to be able to hand to her at the moment. He gives her friendship, happiness, and comfort. Helen is able to be together with Orion, and seems to forget about Lucas when with him. He gets rid of her constant pain. Orion joins Helen in her task of lifting the curse, and along the way, the two of them develop a very close relationship which will affect Helen's decisions later on in the book. While Helen enters and exits the Underworld every single night, there are many evil things lurking around the corners of Nantucket. They are sent to watch the scions, especially Helen. The rest of the book continues forward with the difficulties Helen faces inside the Underworld as well as in the real world. We also see the story told from different perspectives, such as Lucas and even Zach, Helen's childhood friend.

I loved all the characters in this book, many of them didn't disappoint me, setting aside the occasional evil mastermind. Helen was at her best in this book. She was very tough, resilient, and caring; always thinking about how her actions would affect the scions that surround her, such as Lucas, Ariadne, and Cassandra, and making sure her decisions benefit them. At first, it seemed like she was only whining and crying about being stuck in the Underworld, but I gave her a reprieve for that. I mean, come on, the girl is LITERALLY in Hell, and she gets bonus points for going in every night as well. By the end of the book, she improved a lot though. I think you can list a thousand differences between the Helen in Starcrossed and the Helen in Dreamless. Say goodbye to the shy and silent Helen Hamilton, folks, because it seems like she's never coming back, and I'm glad for that. I like her just fine, kick-ass and fired up. Let's see, the new love interest, Orion, was kind of hard not to like. It's surprising really, because many of the secondary love interests are despised instantly. This guy was too friendly, funny, strong, hot, and kind for his own good. I now see what Helen was going through with her confusing feelings for him. The guy's a total chunk-of-a-hunk. But whereas Orion is a star, well....Lucas is the Sun. Orion could make me drool and melt and giggle, it's true. But it only took Lucas one single sentence to make me do all three in a second. There was also one other character that made me really happy in this book. Come on..give it a guess..! For those of you who guessed Hector, you have good taste-buds my friends ;) I officially dub him my very own living piece of milky-way. He makes me all warm, cuddly, and happy inside just like the candy do. I'm glad he's a part of this book, and also Helen's life. In a way, he ties everyone together. To describe everyone else in a sentence: Jason irritated me. Claire made me feel dumb. Matt was like a huge huggable teddy bear. Ariadne wasn't really highlighted as much so I don't know...I guess I'm neutral about her. I absolutely love Noel, as well as Kate. Jerry was hilarious. Zach...I felt for. And Cassandra.....this girl is my role model, she deals with so much for such a young age and survives it all, if I were to choose who the second most kick-ass person is, I would say her, because she deserves it.

So my feelings for this book, huh? This book was phenomenal, exquisite, and beautiful, as well as heart-breaking, tear-jerking, and tragic. It was hot and cold, bitter yet sweet, heaven and hell, and beautiful yet terrifying. Josie goes into so much detail that I felt like I was with Helen throughout her trips to the Underworld, as well as her wars. Plus the amount of Greek Mythology I learn from Miss Angelini's books is amazing. I seriously love how much information she puts into the book to make it seem even more realistic. A definite check plus from me. Quick! Add this to your TBR list for the upcoming beach days guys! Cause this books a must-read, and fans of Starcrossed are in for one hell-of-a-ride!

Favorite Quotes:

“You're my invisible sun, aren't you?”
~Helen to Lucas

“After all, the monsters think you're the delicious one."
"Smart monsters. I am tasy."
"Says who?"
"Don't believe me? See for yourself."
"Yeah? How?"
"Bite me.”

~Helen and Orion

“Why can't it just work?" she moaned. "Just once I want to come up with a plan and have it work. Is that too much to ask?"
Orion opened his mouth, about to say something to calm Helen down.
"Of course it isn't!" Helen interrupted, her rant picking up steam. "But nothing works down here! Not our talents, not even the geography works. That lake over there is tilted on a slope! It should be a river, but oh, no, not down here! That would make too much sense!”

~Helen and Orion

"And what makes you think Helen's more important than you are?"

~Jason to Claire

---------------------------------------------------------------------

More review at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamless.

Quotes Shreya Liked

Josephine Angelini
“You're my invisible sun, aren't you?”
Josephine Angelini, Dreamless

05/26/2012 "BY THE GODS!!!!! I FINALLY GOT IT!!!! IT'S MINE!!!!!! DIDYA HEAR ME!!!??? IT. IS. MINE!!!! >:D
[image error]"
05/26/2012 "HEE HEE HEE!!!!

description" 6 comments
05/27/2012 page 23
5.0% "Busy right now, but will read more later. (sigh) Exams are a bitch ;P" 5 comments
05/27/2012 page 100
21.0% 17 comments
05/28/2012 page 200
41.0% "description" 5 comments
05/28/2012 page 230
47.0% "Ummm...excuse me Helen? Yah. u. There's this guy, ya see. His name's Lucas. AND HE'S THE ONLY FUDGIN ONE FOR YOU!!! FUDGIN FORGET ABOUT FUDGIN ORION!!! GOD! WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? ENGRAVE IT INTO YOUR FUDGIN HEAD?! oh..my.....god...I've lost it O__O" 3 comments
05/29/2012 page 260
53.0% "My teasers for dreamless are up!!
ENJOY AND SUFFER UNTIL YOU BUY IT!!! HEHEHE >:)!!!"
05/31/2012 page 365
75.0% "Will finish today and hopefully review :D"
05/31/2012 page 451
93.0% "OMGESSUZ!!! INTENSE INTENSE INTENSE!!!! O_O O_O O_O"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sylvia Freaking awesome!!

Shreya (CCReviews) I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!!!! :D *running around the house holding dreamless and shoving it into my families faces* :)))

Sylvia LOL you are too funny I like your style :D

Shreya (CCReviews) God!!! I LOVE YOU PEOPLE TOO MUCH! So much flattery. ;) This is definitely gonna get to my head, and then you'll be wondering why i'll start radiating a "I am higher than thou" feeling in my comments..LOL, JK, It'll never happen....

.....

OR WILL IT O_O.............

Sylvia HAHAHAHAHAHA I think it might ;) hey kudos to you why the hell not

Shreya (CCReviews) And who be thou to telleth me what to do? -_- You be not Obama, and even he can not telleth me what to do'eth. I do. not. take. orders. from......mundanes. *choke*. Be goneth slave, and geteth me a lemon. and doeth it quickly!

Sylvia Lol love ya Shreya

Shreya (CCReviews) Love ya too Sylv. Love ya too ;)

AND. YOU'RE NOT OFF THE HOOK. -_- YOU TRYIN TO DISTRACT ME BY SWEET TALKIN PUNK? YOU GONNA GET DREAMLESS RIGHT?????RIIIGHHHTTTT??????? Or else...you don't wanna know...=___=

Sylvia I've got Dreamless lol I've 70% done with it already it's awesome and captivating love it and LOVE Lucas he is so tortured :(

Shreya (CCReviews) oh yah...i just realized i saw ur status..whoopsie i forgot ;P OH NOOOOOOOO. ANOTHER TORTURED GUY!!!!!!!!!!! D;....u should read Of Poseidon. It's really a great read, i just finished :D

Sylvia Yeah I'm planning on getting that I think it's on my wish list at book depo !! I love a tortured guy :(

Shreya (CCReviews) Lol, i love how u say that with a :( face. AND GET IT SOONER! MOVE IT UP IN UR LIST :D It was great woman!

Sylvia Ok I will move it up my list lol that list is getting out of control

♥Kel hows the book so far? the endin of the 1st book was disspointing.

Shreya (CCReviews) Kelsi, if you don't get your hands on dreamless. I might have a sit you down in a chair and give you a lecture. ;) IT'S REALLY GOOD, but of course it's really sad, but i don't know what the end will be like since i haven't finished it yet :)

♥Kel lol alrighty. ugh i hope the stry ends lik "oh we r not cousins so we cld date" ughh i cnt believ they r related.

Shreya (CCReviews) hey! "said to be" related. LOL ;D And yah, but i think we both know, deep, deep, deep inside our hearts that...No way in hell is that happening! :P

♥Kel hahah i totally agree wit u. its like the mortal instruments where at 1st they were related but towards the end they werent.

Jenia I still need read first one