Suzanne 's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, on-bookshelves
Read from January 19 to 20, 2012

Delirium is a dystopian book about a world without love. At the age of 18, people are cured of the disease amor deliria nervosa, "the deadliest of all deadly things" and matched with a partner that they will marry and have children with. There is no longer any wars, very little crime and people are free from pain and hurt to live a predictable life where they will never love anyone or show any real emotion. "The cured, incapable of strong desire, are thus rid of both remembered and future pain".

Lena has only 95 days to go to her procedure and she cannot wait. Until she meets Alex, and falls in love.

I really liked this book, so why only 3 stars? Well, I found that at times, the author seemed to ramble on about things that didn't really influence the story and I found myself skimming at times to get back on track with the story. I found that some descriptions were long winded and just unnecessary.

It took me a while to really connect with the protag Lena and she seemed to be a bit too naive and afraid of getting into trouble. Once she met Alex, I felt she came out of her shell and was a more likeable character. I really liked her friend Hana, she was energetic and fun loving. Her aunt, uncle and sister, Rachel, I felt, were well written as unemotional characters but sometimes I felt like her aunt Carol was slipping a bit and at times seemed caring towards Lena. This could probably be explained by the fact that they dreamed, which meant that they hadn't been completely wiped of all feeling.

Lena's parents are both dead. Her dad died of cancer when she was young and her mum, she believes comitted suicide when she was six. After 3 attempts at the cure, her mother is immune and kills herself before they can make a 4th attempt. There was a bit of a twist here but it was something that I expected would probably happen and would convince of the final decision she needed to make.

Overall, this was a really good original story which I enjoyed a lot. My favourite character had to be Alex. He was HOT and his arrival made the book all the more interesting for me and I found it hard to put down. The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger, leaving me (im)patiently waiting for Pandemonium.

From inside cover "They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until Now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second that live a hundred years suffocated by a lie."

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Suzanne Liked

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.

-From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales”

Lauren Oliver
“We stand there for a moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about god: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected. feeling this way seems about as close to saying a prayer as you could get...”

Lauren Oliver
“You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope, and without fear.

I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

01/20/2012 page 425

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) It was a little slow in the beginning. But it ended on a bang!

Suzanne Definitely ends on a bang Terri, I can't wait for Pandemonium now :)