Toni Daugherty's Reviews > Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right

May 20, 2008

Recommended to Toni by: nutritionist/doctor
Recommended for: all parents
Read in May, 2008

What an eye-opener!!! Are we poisoning our children? Is cancer related to our diets more than anything else? Yes, says Fuhrman! I thought "not going to McDonalds any more than once a month" was such a feat. My kids are appalled in the mornings now that I put berries on their plates (along with their Ego, which will soon be replaced by 100% whole wheat, homemade waffle - which they love, luckily & another serving of fruit) and for dinner? 2 servings of veggies rather than one. Wait till next year when the real shock comes & I'm taking away their school lunch & their packing fruit & nuts. ha! Seriously! I am!
My kids have never liked meat & it's been such a fight to give them their protein & fatty acids. I'm relieved to know that I don't have to have that fight, anymore. They can eat almonds, broccoli & maybe an occassional small piece of salmon & I don't have to feel guilty anymore! I'm slowly purging the pantry but realizing I need a larger refrigerator to keep all of this real food from perishing. ha! I have to say, it's only day 2 for them & all the nuts, seeds, berries & apple slices disappeared from the island, after school. I don't even think they realized what they were snacking on. They didn't hesitate to search for the ritz crackers or the fish crackers, but, they didn't find them. Then I watched one of them open the fridge & take out an apple, while the other one ate a banana. The 3rd, most stubborn one, continued in the pantry & finally found a lone cracker out of its wrapper & ate that. I was laughing inside, but not saying a word!!! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disease-Proof Your Child.

04/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I need to read this! Go Toni.

Toni Daugherty I'll loan U my copy. As with everything, take what works for you. I cannot be a vegetarian because I like cheese too much & being part italian I will never get rid of my olive oil! I've always wanted my kids to eat better & this just empowers me more! And yeah! No more meat fights! ha!