Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall

The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Downing Hahn

Oct 23, 2011

bookshelves: classroom-library, family, ghost, historical
Read from October 21 to 23, 2011

Another Mary Downing Hahn that I got my hands on. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite children's authors! This one was a very good book. I bought it last year but just got around to read it when I bought an additional copy for my classroom. I enjoyed the characters and the situations they found themselves in.

The one thing I find slightly annoying with Hahn's books is how she makes adult female characters seem to be nasty. In this book it's the great-aunt who is downright horrible towards Florence. She does not change at all, unlike some of the other books. However, it is interesting that it is usually the adults who are in the wrong and not the kids. I wonder if this just happens, or if she planned it that way for some reason. Is it coincidence in each book?

Either way, I did enjoy the book and look forward to reading more of her works. Fans of her other books will enjoy this one, particularly the historical setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall.