Meg ♥'s Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: e-books, favs, z-2012-reads
Read from February 25 to 27, 2012

This book was...in a word...amazing! I wish it didn't have to end.

Celia and Marco are two young magicians who were chosen to take part in a competition by her father and his trainer. They don't know each other as they grow up, but they know that they are training for this competition. They also don't know much about the competition at all, they just train on and do what they're told. As they grow up they learn more each day, and meet each other while working at the circus which is the venue for the competition.

Let me start this off by saying that although I really enjoyed this book I could also see many people hating it. It all depends on what you like as far as writing style. I don't usually love flowery prose, but I'd say I have a high tolerance for it. I usually love a very quick fast paced plot, and this book didn't offer that. With this book the plot moved pretty slowly and it was full of descriptions. Morgernstern created a world that I truly wished I could have visited. She describes her world so well you will feel you have been transported there.

As far as the "fierce competition" that was promised in the synopsis I never really felt that. I thought, in general, the parts revolving around the competition were lacking excitement and the end of that was a bit anti-climactic. I can't complain, though, because as a writer I feel she did her job. She had me guessing, imagining, and wondering throughout the whole book what exactly this game was about. She has me wondering how it would end, how it tied into the circus, and why we should care about this young random boy named Bailey. (I loved Bailey, by the way!)

As far as the romance is concerned the author did it right. Some people may like the insta-love-at-first-sight kinda thing that is so popular in recent YA novels, but for me she did romance perfectly. I feel like the love at the end is so much sweeter if the story takes the time to build up to it. It also feels so much more realistic. Just knowing that since these two were 6 and 9 years old they were bonded and going to end up in love made the anticipation for that happening very great in my mind.

For a debut novel I think this book was very impressive. I will say that it's not for everyone, though. Morgenstern's beautiful writing could have went on for another 100 or so pages and I would have loved reading every bit. This is the first book I loved, despite the fact that I wasn't in to the plot or characters too much.

I recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a thorough, well thought out fantasy. Those of you who can appreciate a great build-up will probably enjoy this as well. Reviews for this book are very mixed based on personal taste so I'm sure you can tell on your own if this book will be for you. Being a usually impatient reader I expected to join the masses claiming this book was too slow or boring, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Meg ♥ Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“The finest of pleasures are always the unexpected ones.”
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

Erin Morgenstern
“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.”
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

02/25/2012 page 87
22.0% "So far I love this book!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shauna Liking it Meg?

Meg ♥ Shauna wrote: "Liking it Meg?"

Yeah, I've actually finished it. Just didn't get a chance to finish the review yet, but I enjoyed it. :-)

Jason Koivu Looking forward to it! This one's on my to-read short list.

Meg ♥ Jason wrote: "Looking forward to it! This one's on my to-read short list."

Awesome. If you love well thought-out books with lush writing you will love this. Usually I'm not a fan of books like this, but I was blown away. :-)

Almeta On my list. Looking forward to hearing what you thought.

I may have to move it up to the top of the pile.☺

Meg ♥ Almeta wrote: "On my list. Looking forward to hearing what you thought.

I may have to move it up to the top of the pile.☺"

Oh, Almeta. I adored this book. I am almost done with the review (I know, it's taking ages lol). But I can say right now it's a new favorite of mine! :-)

Heidi This is another one that has been languishing in my TBR pile for far too long.

Almeta Meg ♥ wrote: "Almeta wrote: "On my list. Looking forward to hearing what you thought.

I may have to move it up to the top of the pile.☺"

Oh, Almeta. I adored this book. I am almost done with the review (I kno..."

I'm comvinced, # 20 in line at the library!

Meg ♥ Almeta wrote: "Meg ♥ wrote: "Almeta wrote: "On my list. Looking forward to hearing what you thought.

I may have to move it up to the top of the pile.☺"

Oh, Almeta. I adored this book. I am almost done with..."

Enjoy it Almeta. :-)

Lyndz I think I have this one in my TBR pile but I will have to make sure now. Great review!

Meg ♥ Lyndz_♥ wrote: "I think I have this one in my TBR pile but I will have to make sure now. Great review!"

Thanks, Lyndz. That's great! I hope you like it when you get to it! I had it on my TBR for months and I wish I would have gotten to it sooner.

message 12: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick I've gotta read this. Excellent review, Meg.

Diane Great review Meg! You've got me interested in reading it.

✿~[z๏ℯy]~✿ I feel exactly the same way Meg. I loved this book but I felt like something was missing with the ending.

Meg ♥ Heidi wrote: "This is another one that has been languishing in my TBR pile for far too long."

Same here, Heidi. I wanted to read it since it first came out...My library never even got this book which I thought was weird...so I waited and finally got to it months later.

Meg ♥ Nick wrote: "I've gotta read this. Excellent review, Meg."

Thanks, Nick. I hope you like it when you read it. :-)

Meg ♥ Diane wrote: "Great review Meg! You've got me interested in reading it."

Thanks, Diane! :-)

Chris Nice review

Melki Though I fall into the "didn't like it much" category, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Meg ♥ Melki wrote: "Though I fall into the "didn't like it much" category, I'm glad you enjoyed it."

Thank you, Melki. I agree with everything you said in your review, too. Something about this book made me fall in love, but I am not blinded to it's flaws. That's why I didn't want to give it 5 stars even though I really liked it.

Meg ♥ Chris wrote: "Nice review"

Thanks! :-)

message 22: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Another for the TBR pile!

message 23: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi I got a sample of this book forever ago, and I kept meaning to come here and check it out!! I was thinking about buying (I haven't read the whole sample), and now I see this is a sign that I should indeed buy! Yay!

Meg ♥ Brandi wrote: "I got a sample of this book forever ago, and I kept meaning to come here and check it out!! I was thinking about buying (I haven't read the whole sample), and now I see this is a sign that I shoul..."

If you liked the sample I think you should like this. The biggest complaint I see is people thinking it moves too slowly so if the pace is fine for you to get through the sample it should be great. Hope you like it! :-)

message 25: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi Meg ♥ wrote: "Brandi wrote: "I got a sample of this book forever ago, and I kept meaning to come here and check it out!! I was thinking about buying (I haven't read the whole sample), and now I see this is a si..."

I think I will--I read to the part where the boy was selected, and that's it....but I've wondered about it from time to time (it's seriously been on my Kindle for months haha). I take this as a sign. :)

Jo Anne B Great review Meg! So well said.

Meg ♥ Jo Anne wrote: "Great review Meg! So well said."

Thanks so much, Jo Anne! :-)

Sarah I thought this book was brilliant.

Meg ♥ Sarah wrote: "I thought this book was brilliant."

I liked it too. :-)

Leann Irvin Your review is Spot-On!