Robyn's Reviews > The Last Time They Met

The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve

Sep 27, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I have to say that I found it difficult to not only get into this book, but to stay into it. I found myself skimming through pages because of the excessive and unnecessary descriptions of things/events/people that really had no impact on the story. It may be my nature as a scientist but the superfluous writing by Shreve is just not my style. The letters between the two main characters, although seemingly important, were pure torture for me to read. I also had trouble with the format of the story from present to past. I read the book without knowing anything about it so it took until the middle of the book for me to realize that was the structure and maybe if I understood this ahead of time I may have been better prepared and accepting of it. I'm still confused about the ending which seemed unnecessary but I didn't enjoy the book enough to re-read it to discover what it meant for the story that had been told.

As for the characters of Thomas and Linda, while I found their predicaments understandable, it still doesn't mean that I agree with their actions. In my opinion this was not a story of unrequited love or even a Romeo and Juliet-type love, just two people who chose to be with their spouses out of requirement, instead of returning to their true loves, and resenting their spouses for it. The real courage would have been being honest with their spouses from the beginning and providing them the opportunity to have real love stories of their own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time They Met.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hey. This is definitely the style of anita shreve. I cannot say I am thrilled her writing either. Though there was one....cannot remember the name now. Perhaps it is in my list.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Little I read at least one of her books and didn't care for it. I know I read The Pilot's Wife. Stupid ending.

Skyqueen Your review pretty much summed up my review as well. Am just reading some of the spoiler reviews b/c I don't want don't care enough to go back as you say to re-read.