Jaykumar's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: favorites, owned
Read from November 03 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

This novel can be clubbed under many a categories: historical romance/fiction, epistle novel et al.

Shaffer reveals her engaging prose which is almost addictive and one is compelled to finish in a single reading.

the technique of abesntia used to describe Elizabeth's character was a master-stroke. Elizabeth is one of the most profound, likable character created in recent memories, along with Kit, Christian, Juliet, Dawnsey, Sidney, Sophie, Isola, Amelia, Eden, Jane and others - the novel has a group of characters that engage the reader and become familiar like friends by the end...

a must read for any person who indulges in the joys of reading.

Quotes Jaykumar Liked

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you to another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“I don't want to be married just to be married. I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“After all, what's good enough for Austen ought to be good enough for anyone.”
tags: humor

Mary Ann Shaffer
“I love seeing the bookshops and meeting the booksellers-- booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one-- the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it-- along with first dibs on the new books.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Isola doesn't approve of small talk and believes in breaking the ice by stomping on it.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Will Thisbee gave me The Beginner's Cook-Book for Girl Guides. It was just the thing; the writer assumes you know nothing about cookery and writes useful hints - "When adding eggs, break the shells first.”

11/04/2011 page 23