Toneeshia's Reviews > Girl, Stolen

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read on October 23, 2011

Girl, Stolen is a contemporary realistic fictional book intended for advanced aged children. It has won the American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults, American Library Association Quick Picks for Young Award, Maryland Black- Eyed Susan award Maser List, and others. Girl, Stolen is about a car thief named Griffin accidentally kidnapping blind 16- year old Cheyenne while she napped in her stepmother's Escalade. Griffin takes her to his home and soon before she is to be released by Griffin and his partners in crime they discover that she comes from a wealthy family and her father is the CEO of Nike, so instead they keep her for ransom. This is a great book because it gives the perspective of both Griffin and Cheyenne while continuing the story and it jumps into action immediately. The characters Cheyenne and Griffin are effective in the plot because Cheyenne being blind and courageous keeps the suspense going and Griffin being kind to Cheyenne gives the reader hope that Cheyenne will be freed. The use of language helps to set the tone of the novel by creating the panic and nervousness felt by both Griffin and Cheyenne. Young readers will feel the need to pick up this book and read it as soon as they read the synapses on the back cover because it is such an unique storyline. This novel could be used in a classroom to teach safety and what precautions to take in order to prevent such occurrences or prevent them from going further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Stolen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April Henry Thank you for this review! My goal is to write a page-turner where you cheer the characters on. It was really fun to do the research, like the day I spent at the Guide Dog School for the Blind. They put a blindfold on me and gave me a dog and a harness and told me to put the harness on the dog. That's really hard to do when you can't see either one and are worried about hurting the dog! I finally managed and went to pat the dog on the head - and realized I had harnessed up the hind end.

Judy Desetti Great book April, I think this will be very popular with my students. I plan to book talk it. Thanks for limiting the sexual violence which could have been portrayed. I felt like although that could have been used it would not have lent any more reality or brutalness to this situation. It was a very compelling read.

message 3: by April (new)

April Henry I'm even having a couple of not-so-bad swears taken out of the paperback. (GD and B...d) I'm trying to write to be accessible, plus it's not like I'm writing a book about rape with the aim of helping survivors.