Sarah's Reviews > Sugar Rush

Sugar Rush by Kimber An

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: for-review-read, read-in-2011, did-not-finish
Read from November 02 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I really, really wanted to like this one - I mean the covers for this series are beautiful! - but unfortunately I just couldn't finish reading it. The prequel novella Crushed Sugar left me with a lot of questions & despite getting 36% into Sugar Rush we still know very little about the paranormal aspect of the story which I just found incredibly frustrating.

The characters all act a lot younger than 16 years old and the expressions they used constantly (Oh My Dog being the main one) were driving me insane! Having said that I think the story will really appeal to younger paranormal fans and the lanugage is suitable for young teens.

I was particularly frustrated by the Ophelia, she is being harrassed constantly by her ex Martin - really bad stallker behaviour going on there which would be enough to freak anyone out. At the same time a random stranger is breaking into her car & her school locker to leave her presents. Now that would worry me even if I didn't already have a crazy stalker but if it was on top of the harassment from Martin I'd be seriously concerned. The last thing I'd want is to catch the attention of another psycho. But Ophelia decides that she has fallen in love with the person who is leaving her presents - she has never seen him, never spoken to him, doesn't have the faintest idea who he is yet of course she loves him. Even more worrying is that when she talks to her twin sister about it her sister isn't the voice of reason telling her to slow down - she actually encourages Ophelia to try and meet up with a second potential psycho and agrees that of course they must be in love - after all he is leaving presents and Ophelia likes them, what else could you possibly want to know about your love interest? I'm not feeling the protective sister there.

Looking through the other reviews on here I know I'm in the minority for not getting on with this one so don't let me put you off giving it a try. The author has created some nice characters & I think the paranormal side to the story will be really interesting when it gets going. But if, like me, you are easily irritated by instant love for no reason then you'll probably want to give this a miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugar Rush.

11/07/2011
32.0% "Unfortunately I'm really struggling to get into this one, think I'll try something else & then come back to it"