Anna's Reviews > The Calling of the Grave

Oct 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2012, 2-stars, mystery-crime
Read from January 09 to April 21, 2012

I loved the first two books in the David Hunter series, The Chemistry of Death and Written in Bone, giving them both 4.5 stars, although I felt the third Whispers of the Dead lost some of it's edge, giving it 3.5.

This fourth one fell even further away. The detailed forensic elements that made the first books so interesting were reduced to a couple of lines here and there, and despite the action being centred around the moors, the atmospheric qualities of the earlier books were also missing. It became bland and generalised, and nothing like a David Hunter tale; it could have been any old run-of-the-mill crime story.

I’m massively disappointed :-(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling of the Grave.

Hannah You've got it??? I'm SO jealous, Anna....can't wait to hear if it's a good one.

Anna I'm a bit nervous, as #3 wasn't as good as #1 and #2, and I SO want #4 to get back to the standard of the first two.

125 pages in, and so far so good, although nothing major has happened as yet; it was setting the scene from eight years previously. It should get properly going now, as the present day story kicks in. Fingers crossed.....

Hannah Arrgghh, so sorry to hear this. I'm disappointed too now, and haven't even read it!

Anna Yeah, it's gutting after loving #1 and #2 so much. I feel cheated.

I'll be interested to hear what you make of it when you eventually track it down. Carol gave it the full 5, so there's hope for you yet!

Hannah Anna wrote: "Yeah, it's gutting after loving #1 and #2 so much. I feel cheated.

Yes, we shall see!

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Oh dear, that's no good. J and I weren't as impressed with #1 as you were, Anna, so we may have to give the series the shove after #2!