Michelle's Reviews > Courting the Enemy

Courting the Enemy by Renee Ryan

Oct 27, 11

Read from October 23 to 25, 2011

Savannah Elliott is a beautiful widow – and Trent Mueller’s next assignment. Her father is a suspected Nazi sympathizer, and through his relationship with her, he is hoping to gain the information he needs to help derail a Nazi plot to attack the U.S. With the safety of America on the line, he must stay focused on the mission. However, he is not prepared to deal with the attraction that overwhelms him, especially when he isn’t sure if she is involved.

Having been betrayed by her late husband, trust does not come easy to Savannah. But despite her past, and her nagging doubts that something isn’t as it seems, Savannah quickly finds herself falling for the handsome Mr. Mueller. As she asks Trent for help in proving her suspicions about her father’s shady assistant, is she also incriminating her father?

Let me first say, the story line is was interesting. I’ve never read a WWII romance, and I loved all the intrigue. The mystery and suspense did drive the story along – unfortunately, that was the only thing that did drive it. The story’s pace was severely hampered by excessive inner dialogue. I felt that the story would have benefited from more action and dialogue that represented what was going on in their head, instead of just reading about how they felt. This would have also let us connect with the characters more. Trent and Savannah are likeable, but despite knowing everything they felt, you never really get a sense of knowing them – their quirks, their habits, their mannerisms. They never had that “real” feeling.

For an inspirational romance, I didn’t get an overall message from the story. Scripture and Christian references are interjected throughout the story, but no overall message is implied.

Overall, I would have to give this only 2 stars – a great book to check out from the library, but not a book to add to your shelf.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 25. Cover photo obtained from author’s website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courting the Enemy.