Emma's Reviews > Human Resource Management, 6th edition

Human Resource Management, 6th edition by Julie Beardwell

Oct 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ma-course-books, i-own, practicals, non-fiction, real-books, books-read-in-2012, free-books
Read from January 31 to April 15, 2012

This is my core course textbook which I have been reading over the past few months. It's a very bit and quite heavy going textbook because of the topic areas but I've tried to reflect on the chapters as I've read them.

Chapter 1 - I started out with such high hopes for this book. It started out easy to read and rapidly became more complicated. I'm not sure if it's because I don't understand what I'm really reading about or if it's just because it's got to many words that just makes it more complicated to try to get my head around the simplest concepts. This covers of the basics, perhaps it will all start to click into place with the next chapter...

Chapter 2 - I'll be honest, I've kind of glossed over this one. It's really heavy work and I'm sure its one that I will have to come back to at another point but it is literally too complicated for me to read and understand.

Chapter 3 - another somewhat heavy chapter. Turned out partway through that whilst this chapter was recommended for the unit I was studying, it was more a scene setting chapter than anything else so I was able to leave some of the bumph behind and concentrate on the important stuff.

Chapter 4 - this chapter I read as part of the recruitment and selection unit for my leading, managing and developing people course. It was full of facts and figures. A long chapter with some nice to knows although working in recruitment currently not all of it translates into the practical field.

Chapter 5 - Talent Management. this chapter was quite interesting.

Chapter 6 - another very wordy piece of work that has been covered in a number of ways in the other chapters associated with this area of the course. Easy to read and written in easy language to understand that I was able to read it quite quickly.

Chapter 7 - all about Learning and Development. Whilst I had covered a lot of this material with other reading I have done, this was still interesting and there were still a few new models for me here. My problem with the material so far is that it is so wordy, I often find it difficult to make head or tail of it.

Chapter 8 - This was an interesting chapter. I like the whole topic of HRD although it is very heavy going in terms of who has said what about what. From all the reading I have done on this topic I was able to see what is common in all the writing and there were parts I knew I had already covered and this was a good recap of the knowledge that hopefully will stay between my ears for the exam.

Chapter 9 - Management and Leadership Development is an area that I find quite interesting and this chapter built on a lot of earlier material which I really liked.

Chapter 10 - the employment relationship. Much more legally focused chapter which i find very interesting. It's a long chapter and has a lot of examples which both makes it heavy and clearer in parts.

Chapter 11 - another chapter that is legally focused on areas such as collective bargaining. Not something I have ever had practical experience in so I find the theory of it all a little confusing.

Chapter 12 - this chapter again was difficult and confusing to struggle through. I think I find it all the harder because I don't know what I'm reading the material for and what direction I should go in...it just means that everything is really complicated.

Chapter 13 - Employee Reward. An interesting chapter that debates the area of employee rewards, looking not only at the history of reward but also the links between reward and performance.

Chapter 14 - Employee Participation - did not get this at all...

Chapters 15 - 17 - these seem a lot more practical to me, but not really relevant to my studies currently. Perhaps these are ones I'll come back to again later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Human Resource Management, 6th edition.

02/04/2012 page 30